Show Biz Babies (Hasbro)



Show Biz Babies
Hasbro
1967 - 1968

When I first started looking into Hasbro's vintage Show Biz Babies line, I had no clue the can of worms I was about to open. I thought the line comprised solely of four figures based on the iconic group, The Monkees. Boy was I in for a surprise.

What maks Show Biz Babies such a fantastic line is that it's not just about the miniature doll inside the package. In addition to the fantastic psychedelic art on the front, the cardback featured an autographed photo of the musician on the back. If that weren't enough, each one came packed with its own unique 33 1/3 flexi disc record full of facts on the artist.




While oogling over the groovy Monkees characters, I stumbled across another quartet of characters featuring The Mamas And The Papas. Admittedly, I don't know much about their music, especially as compared to The Monkees. As I looked through a listing of their "hits", the only two songs I recognized were California Dreamin' and Monday Monday.




It was at this point that I started digging in deep to the line and uncovered even more dolls. I never would have expected to find the likes of Bobbie Gentry, Herman from Herman's Hermits, Mitch Ryder and Spencer Davis. Much like the Mama's And The Papas, I recognize the names, but not necessarily the music.




Even though I'm not too well versed on the tunes, I dig this line. These little dolls may be creepy, but between the cardbacks and the records, these little packages have it all - Including a ridiculously high price tag on secondary markets. You're going to drop at least fifty to one hundred dollars for a loose doll, without the record, and upwards of five hundred for a mint in package one. If you can track down loose records, which are very rare, they'll cost you between twenty-five and fifty dollars each.

 Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Disturbing...but so awesome. Never heard of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have both the creepy and cool factors going for them.

      Delete