Springbok Hit Parade (Springbok)

 

Springbok Hit Parade
1970 - 1987
Springbok

I've said this a few times on my site. One of the perks of growing up overseas was the exposure to music one wouldn't necessarily hear on US shores. As such, we not only got the great music of the states, but also that of South Africa, the UK and those artists across the globe who found popularity in those countries, but never America.

One such source for this was the periodic release of Springbok's Hit Parade albums. These featured what one could essentially categorize as the Weekly Top Forty, but for music across the globe. However, there was a twist to this, that at the time my siblings and I were not aware of. Many of the songs were cover versions, and in some cases, didn't have the same lyrics. Despite this, the music was solid, and laid the foundation of my love for pop music of the late 70's and 80's.













Starting with volume twenty-six, Springbok switched from drawn covers to utilizing girls for each cover. It was a transition that proved popular with male record buyers.







We never had all the albums growing up. In fact, my brother and I didn't have any of them. They belonged to our sister. Instead, as I review these covers, which were taken from Springbok Hits, it looks like her collection started around number forty. I distinctly remember that cover...How could I forget?


We spent hours playing in our "play room" in Bangladesh, listening to these records. It was here that we not only disappeared into our imaginations as we played with toys or games, but also while we listed to the tunes that were shaping our young minds. I have wonderful memories of these days.

















Though this post showcases all the covers, and really focuses on my own personal memories of listening to the albums, I highly recommend you head over to Springbok Hits. This site not only features larger photos of each cover, but also a complete track listing with an attempt to note the original and / or known artist. Not only that, but even more records released by Springbok. Check it out!

I would love to track down a complete set of these vinyls for my own personal collection. Well, I'd rather track them down on CD, but those unfortunately don't exist. Until then, I'll have to settle for the recreation of them that I've made based on the CD's I own.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment