Retro Spins: Pet Shop Boys - Actually



I hate the cover to this album! Every time I look at it, it makes me yawn! Go ahead. Look at it. See if it doesn't do the same to you.

It really didn't dawn on my how "big" Pet Shop Boys were until I started looking into the duo for this post. They're actually listed as the most successful duo in The Guinness Book Of World Records. Not bad for a musical group I know...Um...Maybe six songs from. Clearly I don't know anything about them in terms of the hits they've produced. Time to change that.

For my foray into Pet Shop Boys, I thought I would start with their 1987 entry, Actually. The reason this album took presidency over their 1986 debut was because this particular album has one of my all time favorite songs from them, What Have I Done To Deserve This? (my favorite is actually their cover of Always On My Mind). I figured, if all else goes bad, at the very least, I get this track out of the deal.

As the album started up, I admittedly found myself digging the beat which was flowing from my speakers. One More Chance was definitely a great album starter, and almost instantly got added to my shuffle mixes. The first track psyched me up so much that when What Have I Done To Deserve This? started (track two), I actually wanted it to end quickly so I could find out what was next.

Well...several words come to mind. Unfortunate. Disappointing. Boring.

Yeah, it wasn't what I was hoping for. From the second track, things just went down hill fast. The album had one final high note before dipping back into forgettable noise, and that was in the track, It's A Sin.

Overall, I'm not too overly impressed with Pet Shop Boys. I'm not ready to give up on them, and will make my way to their other 80's entries in the near future. For now though, not really chomping at the bit to immediately hear more.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.