Retro Spins: Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction



It's kind of almost a "gimme" posting about this album. I honestly didn't even have to listen to it because I know it back to back.

I remember playing the album for the first time on cassette tape while sitting on my bedroom floor in front of a boombox. It blew my young mind away from that first howl of Axel all the way to the final guitar riff of Rocket Queen, and quickly became the soundtrack for many of my young teen days.

Truth be told, I don't know how I ended up lucking into getting Appetite For Destruction. As I mentioned before in a prior post, my mom wasn't big on us having albums with Parental Advisory stickers on them. Whether she just wasn't looking, or for whatever reason, didin't care that day, I ended up with this fantastic cassette. As I listened to it, I remember looking over my shoulder towards my bedroom door, waiting for my mom to burst in shouting, "What are you listening to!" Somehow, that never happened, and from there, I was hooked on Guns N' Roses.

When an album is crafted so perfectly, can one honestly pick "favorites" from it? In my youth, that would have been a resounding, "No. Not a chance." However, in my adult years, I have to admit, I've grown a little tired of some of the songs, and others have been shuffled off to the "skip" pile.

Tracks like Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine will forever remain classics. However, at this point in my life, they're a bit overplayed for my tastes. Meanwhile, songs like Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle and Rocket Queen are my go to tracks these days. The rest of the songs on the album, yeah, I remember them and they'll always be affiliated with fond memories. However, I don't tend to listen to them much.

These days, rather than live in the past for Guns N' Roses, I actually find myself wondering what the band will do now that it has a successful reunion tour under its collective belts. As of this writing, January 2019, there have long been rumbles of a new album, but so far, no sign.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment