Movieland Drive-In Theater (Remco)



Movieland Drive-In Theater
Remco
1959

I don't talk about many toys which predate the 1970's, so today is pretty special for me here at The Toy Box. Today, I'm looking at the 1959 Remco Movieland Drive-In Theater.

This is part playset, part toy cars and part projector. It's main feature, the projector, came with six film slides which could be displayed off the 4 X 6 playset screen. These included scenes from Have Gun Will Travel, Heckle and Jeckle, Captain Kangaroo, Dinky Duck, Mighty Mouse and Farmer Alfalfa.

While that alone would have made for a fantastic toy, the set also included interchangeable marquees and six tin toy cars. All of which could be displayed around the lot, snack stand and ticket booth. All of this for $5.98!...Which equates to over fifty dollars these days.

The real beauty to this set is the attention to detail. It looks exactly like a miniature drive-in movie theater.



You can grab one of these complete on secondary markets for around a hundred dollars with the box. That honestly surprised me, as I really expected this thing to be upwards of four figures. At the very least, if the commercial is still available on Youtube, I highly recommend you check it out.

I'd love to see Hot Wheels make some retro playsets and vehicles based on the fifties and sixties. Wouldn't it be awesome to get a drive-in movie theater, vintage style drive thru's for food, ice cream shops, etc.? I'm not a big car collector, but I could certainly endorse a line like that. 

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, I really dig this set. It hits all the right nostalgic notes, and just looks so cool overall.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome especially with drive-ins making a comeback right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, nice. I'm into that, but have nothing good to do with it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did it come with couples in the back seats of those csrs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they were stickers adhered to the windows.

      Delete