Retro Spins: Against All Odds



Against All Odds opens on a sprawling space station, but the audience doesn't know it. Robots flicker to life, ejecting from ports along the wall. The camera pans to a large tinted window. the sun reflects across it from outside. The camera draws in closer, then pans down to show the Earth resting in orbit below...

I mean, maybe that's how it starts. I don't know. I've never seen it.

Dark passions explode in this steamy, sinister love story staring Rachel Ward and Jeff Bridges. Terry Brogan (Bridges), a cynical ex-football star, is hired to find Jessie Wyler (Ward), the runaway mistress of a ruthless L.A. nightclub owner, Jake Wise (James Woods). According to Jake, Jessie had stabbed him and vanished with $50,000.00. But Terry's mission is soon forgotten when he tracks down the beautiful Jessie on a Mexican island and falls in love with her. Trouble brews, however, when Jake dispatches his henchman, Hank Sully (Alex Karras), to bring the lovers back. Driven by passion for the mysterious young woman, Terry quickly finds himself trapped in a complex web of corruption, betrayal and murder. Packed with riveting excitement and vivid sensuality, Against All Odds grabs you and never lets go. - Back cover of the original VHS

The soundtrack features a ton of artist I really like; Phil Collins, Stevie Nicks, Peter Gabriel, Big Country and Mike Rutherford. However, even then it doesn't necessarily blow me away. With the exception of the title song from Collins, the rest of the album is pretty sub par.

It doesn't help that six of the twelve tracks are reserved for the score. Mind you, I don't necessarily hate instrumental or score music in general. It just wasn't something I was particularly in the mood for when I fired this album up for a spin.

Sigh...I really need to dig through my soundtrack collection here. These past three have been kind of duds, and I really want to hear something fantastic.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment