Hi-C Ecto Cooler (The Coca-Cola Company)

 

Hi-C Ecto Cooler
The Coca-Cola Company
1989 - 2001

It's the juice that defined a generation. It was based on one of the most highly anticipated sequels of all time, and went on to remain on store shelves long after the highly popular cartoon series based on that movie, and if you believe it or not, I've never so much as sipped one.

The movie, Ghostbusters II, the cartoon, The Real Ghostbusters, and the drink I somehow missed out on my entire childhood and young teen years, Hi-C's Ecto Cooler.

Ecto Cooler made its debut in 1989, and was a repurpose of their already existing flavor, Citrus Cooler, which I also have never had.

1986 - 1995 Juice Box

1986 - 1995 Family Size Can

1986 - 1995 Family Size Jug

Don't let the delicious green juice in the container above fool you. If you found one of these today, chances are high that it would have turned a disgusting black / purple color. Definitely recommended that you not drink one if you find it.

The drink was so popular among juice enthusiasts, that even when the cartoon series ended in 1991, sales justified it remaining on the market. It got an updated package for the 1996 release, and this one is rather difficult to find these days.

1996 Juice Box

A fun fact about the drink is that IDW gave it a parodying nod in its 2011 Ghostbusters comic book series under the guise of Slime-C. It's shown as both ads in the panels of pages, as well as a drink. Even Ecto Cooler itself has made an appearance in the various IDW Ghostbusters titles.

1996 Family Size Can

Slimer was removed from the package in 1997, and the name was changed to Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen until the drink was discontinued in 2001. After a brief hiatus, the flavor returned in 2006 in the form of Crazy Citrus Cooler, but disappeared again after just one year. These two variations of flavors are difficult to find (from a collector's perspective).

1997 - 2001 Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen (left)
and 2006 Crazy Citrus Cooler (right) Juice Boxes

It wouldn't be until 2016, with the upcoming new Ghostbusters film, that Ecto Cooler would make a brief marketing campaign comeback. The Coca-Cola Company never intended on keeping the drink on store shelves long term, and this was obvious by how quickly it sold out in stores, never to be replenished.

2016 Juice Box

2016 Pop-Top Can

As an homage to the drink, FYE released an exclusive Ecto Thirst Quencher Tropical Soda. The bottle features Slimer on the label. However, at a whopping $3.99 per bottle, I imagine this isn't something people are picking up by the case load to drink.

FYE Exclusive Ecto Thirst Quencher Tropical Soda

For those of you itching to get your Ecto Cooler fix, and others like me, who want to see what all the fuss is about, Ghostbusters News posted a video in 2021 where they shared their own mock recipe for the drink, but don't appear to be the original makers of the faux drink. The recipe is below, and their video is, "HERE".

1 1/2 Cup Orange Juice (no pulp)
1 1/2 Cup Tangerine Juice (or Orange / Tangerine Juice
2 Tablespoons Tang Powder
1 Tablespoon Powdered Lemonade (such as Country Time)
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
4 Cups Water
4 Drops of Blue Food Coloring 

Why not get the fixings and make you up a batch for Halloween?

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

8 comments:

  1. Love me some Ecto Cooler! I still have a case of cans from the 2016 release in my basement!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have tried some back in the day.

      Delete
  2. Dang. I remember those large family size cans and the can puncturing tool we all had in the kitchen to make the little triangle opening.

    Good old Ecto Cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "That was the way, back in the day." - Roadblock

      Delete
  3. I went to a vintage toy shop in Minneapolis years ago and along with the toy, they had tons of vintage food packaging. I'll ask my buddy to take a look around and see if they have a HI-C can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to Minneapolis to see Paisely Park.

      Delete
  4. I wish I'd tried Ecto Cooler sooner than I did, but even around the mid-'90s, it was love at first taste.

    Being in Canada now, they didn't release it here. Fortunately, a friend of mine in the States managed to snag some and bring it to Otakon so I could drink of it one more time.

    I'm just a little sad I didn't get to try the canned version to see how that tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it's any consolation, you're still ahead of me. I still have yet to try it, even in mock form from the recipe I posted.

      Delete