Star Wars Coloring Books (Kenner)



Star Wars Coloring Books
Kenner
1977 - 1984

As a kid, there were many days I spent sprawled out across the carpet with a box of Crayola Crayons, most of which were well used or broken, and a coloring book in front of me. I think this is an experience many children of the digital age simply don't get to have, which is kind of a shame. Coloring is a wonderful and fun creative outlet.

Back in those days, my mind was just as much ablaze with an adventure as I filled in each page with multiple colors. The story unfolding in my head as I made sound effects of Luke's lightsaber igniting while a blue crayon filled in the blade. My imagination ran wild with my own adventures and everything was an opportunity for it.

For me, Kenner's coloring books were just as large a part of my playtime as were my figures. I had a slew of these things. In fact, in looking through these great books today, I may very well have had them all.

It all began in 1977, when Kenner released the first four books. Each one featured a fantastic still from the film on the cover, only serving to draw kids in more. Inside, the pages were filled with fantastic hand drawn coloring pages, some of which were based on concept art from the film, while others even included the artists own conceptions.



In 1980, Kenner released four more books. This time, based on The Empire Strikes Back. Once again, fabulous images from the film adorned each cover.



In 1982, Kenner released two new books based on the film.


With the final film in the Trilogy released, Kenner produced two new books in 1983 to coincide with it. 


The "set" of books was wrapped up in 1984 with one final volume.


Even today I enjoy a good coloring page. However, these days, I am far more detail oriented with them. Some would say I tend to go a bit overboard. I'll break out a full set of colored pencils, and fill in every bit of detail on the page. Hey, it's good, clean, harmless fun. So why not?

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Those are awesome. Especially love the Empire Strikes Back covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to own "clean" versions of these, but most people charge way too much for them.

      Delete