Part Man, Part Machine, All Cop!



The toy collection around here has been growing at a rapid pace this past week, and with Fairfax Comic Con on my list for this coming Saturday, I don't see it stopping any time soon.

Today brought with it yet another one to add to the pile. For those of you keeping up with my explosion of posts as of late, you know ED-260 from the 1988 Robocop: Ultra Police joined my collection on Friday of last week. Today, the other half of that want list was completed with the arrival of the man himself...


...ROBOCOP!...and a pound of dust on the cardboard backer. Clearly this toy was not loved at its prior home.



The back of the card shows all those wonderful toys from the line. I may have to pick up the Robo-1 cop car here soon to give Robocop something to display in as opposed to just standing around next to ED-260. That or the Robo-Cycle. I haven't decided which one I like more, but I'm leaning towards the cycle for cost and space maximization. We'll see.

For now, let's take a look at Robocop himself.


Without his helmet, he looks kind of silly. His head is a little too skinny. Especially the top of it.


He comes with two accessories - A gun and his helmet. Two questions. 1) What is up with the gun? It doesn't at all match the traditional look of his Auto 9, which was indeed represented in the cartoon. 2) Why does his helmet look like a bicycle helmet with the two slits at the top?


Here's a closer look at the gun in his hand. It's a bit bulky.


With the helmet on he's at least passable as Robocop. The look is certainly there. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say the gun and helmet detract a bit from the overall design.


I have to be honest and say I'm not a fan of the "bumpy" helmet as a result of the slits. It detracts...and looks like someone bashed his head in with a wrench.


On his back he features the cap firing "system" which was predominant in the line. 


In comparison to the Toy Island version, I definitely prefer it over the Kenner version. It's more accurate in terms of overall design and paint...And of course the helmet is rounded at the top. Still, the Kenner version isn't terrible. It has its nostalgic charm.


It also looks fantastic sitting next to the ED-260 counterpart.


Overall, I'm happy with this purchase. It's not a perfect Robocop figure, but it's a fun figure, and that's what counts the most.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I really like him. I actually had most of the RoboCop toys as a kid (including a couple of the second series figures) but sadly I sold most of them at some point when I was younger. Foolish, foolish me! I'd suggest the helmet slits were an anti choking hazard but considering nothing else from that era had them, I don't think that's it. I've always liked the pistol from this line. It just looks even more fierce than the Auto-9. Does it have three barrels? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are my first figures from the line, but yeah, I think they're pretty awesome overall.

      There's no doubt about that weapon looking more fierce than the standard Auto 9. Yeah, I believe there are three barrels on it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The more I look at the two of them, the more they grow on me.

      Delete