Homemade Beef Stroganoff

 

Today I'm back in the kitchen with the remaining slab of that beef tenderloin, and as I mentioned, I'm making some hearty beef stroganoff.

This isn't the first time I've shown stroganoff here at The Toy Box. That honor goes to my Leftover Makeover post. However, since then, I've worked to hone in on my final recipe, which is what I'm sharing today.

Ingredients

2 Pounds Beef
16 Ounces Mushrooms - Sliced
2 Onions - Sliced
1/2 Cup Sherry
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Spicy Brown or Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Fresh Horseradish
1 Can Beef Broth (15 ounce)
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Sour Cream

Starting with my onions, I'm simply slicing them down the center (after peeling them).

Then I'm slicing them up.

For this recipe, I like to use my large electric skillet. This allows me to get everything into one pan, while also regulating temperature. To this, I'm adding two tablespoons of olive oil, and sauteing my onions at 350 degrees. I give them an initial toss to coat them, and then hit them with some fresh cracked salt and pepper. I unfortunately forgot to take a picture of this.

While these are going, I slice my beef up into strips, and then cubes. Sorry, but my cubed photo came out blurry, so I'm not going to use it.

Add this to the pan, and give it a good stir to combine.

Let this brown up a bit, and then rinse and add your mushrooms. I'm using a blend of baby bella and shiitake.

As it all cooks, hit it with some more salt and pepper to taste. Stir it occasionally, and just let it go as you measure out your remaining ingredients. I like to add my sherry, worcestershire, mustard, and horseradish to a single measuring cup, and give it a good stirring to combine.

You may have noticed in my photo of the pan with the meat and veggies in it that there was a pretty poor amount of meat to produce ration. That's because this was only about one pound of meat. As mentioned in my ingredients, this recipe calls for two pounds. To substitute this remaining amount, I'm using a package of ground beef. However, you can use any kind of beef you want, in any combination. Just ensure it's two pounds.

Personally, I like the steak / ground beef combination because it adds different texture, and even flavor, despite coming from the same animal.

If splitting your meat varieties in half, add the ground beef at this point, hit it with some salt and pepper, and brown it up, crumbling it in to bits as it cooks.

While you can drain your liquid at this point, I don't. If you do, you will want to add an extra half cup of beef broth or sour cream. Whichever you choose. Bottom line, you'll need extra liquid.

But first, stir everything in your pan together.

Then add your measuring cup of sherry mixture, plus your can of broth. Add your extra broth as well if you opted to drain your pan. If adding extra sour cream, instead of broth, hold off on adding that for now. Just but the two liquids in.

Give it a good stirring, and let it simmer for a couple minutes. You want the alcohol to cook off.

Now add your heavy whipping cream and sour cream.

Give it another good stirring.

This next step is optional, and as such, I don't measure or include it in the above ingredients. I hit this bad boy with a good shake of cayenne pepper, and give it a final stir. Basically, I just season to taste.

Whether you add the cayenne or not, the next step is to cover the pan and let it go for thirty minutes.

 
 
Since I'm using an electric skillet, I regulate this temperature at 350 degrees. However, if you're cooking this on the stove, you essentially want to let it simmer over medium low heat. No matter which cooking pan you're using, make sure it's covered.

Plan accordingly for this half hour to make whatever it is you're topping with stroganoff. Rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, all of them are great options, and I've tried all three. Heck, you can even skip them, and top it on some slices of bread, like an upgraded S.O.S.
 
Today, I'm using noodles.
 

I prefer these bagged fresh(er) ones over the traditional dry pasta. They not only taste better, but they take so little time to make. I'm using this whole nine ounce bag, which is a perfect amount for this recipe.


Two minutes in boiling water, and it's perfect. And, speaking of perfect, check this stroganoff out after simmering for thirty mintues.


I like mine thick and hearty, almost like a meat sauce. However, if you like you're to be a little more saucier, you can certainly reduce the cooking time to account for the volume of reduction you're looking for. It's versatile.

But again, I like mine thick and rib sticking-ly rich.

I simply toss the noodles in the pan, and give it a good tossing to thoroughly coats them.

You can dish this up as is, but I personally like to sever it over a couple slices of bread.

Regardless of how you get it on your plate (or bowl), you know what's going down. Get to digging in!

This is the perfect comfort meal for a bad day, a rainy one, or a bone chilling snowy one. In my case, it's also great for any day of the week.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment