Retro Spins: Elton John: Too Low For Zero



I bought Elton John's Too Low For Zero because it contains my all time favorite 80's track from him, I'm Still Standing. I also felt it would be a good introduction for me into the world of this multi-decade artist, who's music I only knew through greatest hits and radio play.

Too Low For Zero was the first album since his 1976 Blue Moves to contain all lyrics written by Bernie Taupin. It marked a comeback for this singer, who reunited with his core backing band of the 70's, producing chart toppers, I"m Still Standing, Kiss The Bridge and I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues.

For me, the album felt a little dated. Even for 1983. It leans heavily on a classic rock 70's style, and while it produces a decent sound, it's not a very memorable one. With a running time of over one hour, it's also too long. I enjoyed I'm Still Standing and I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues. However, beyond that, the rest of the album was very lack luster. Unpolished if you will.

I suppose I have to side with Don Shewey of Rolling Stone, who when originally reviewing the album, said, "Elton John and Bernie Taupin have written some great hit singles, but since the early Elton John LP, they have never produced an album of consistently first-rate material. And although Too Low for Zero is a big step up from losers like Blue Moves and A Single Man, it doesn't hang together, either." This really hits the nail on the head. The album is just okay, and that's not good enough for an artist of John's caliber.

Obviously this didn't slow the artist down much, as he's produced and released several more albums since 1983's Too Low For Zero. Hopefully though, things got better for him. I do plan on checking out a few more of his albums from the 80's, so time will tell (for me) on that.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I love Elton John. I blast Rocket Man whenever I'm driving around with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely grown to appreciate him more than I used to.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes - Too Low for Zero. One of my first cassettes from the Columbia Record and Tape Club. 10 for a penny. I'm Still Standing is a great song. I love "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues." The video reminds me of my time in the army. I have always been a fan of Elton. Happy to say I saw him in concert three years ago on his farewell tour. It was a bucket list item I had to do. We had seats to the side of the stage which was cool because we could see all the stuff his percussionist was doing. The whole band was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was an amazing show. Though I'm not one for live performances, he is one I would probably go to.

      Delete