Retro Spins: Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna



I own all four of Stevie Nick's 1980's albums, but I've never honestly taken the time to listen to them. I've always just picked at the "hits" which I knew and liked. Today's Retro Spins seemed like the appropriate time to start rectifying this. While I would normally jump to the album which features my "favorite" from an artist, for whatever reason, it felt appropriate to start from the beginning with Nicks.

Her 1981 debut, Bella Donna, remains her biggest seller to date. It features her famous duet with Tom Petty, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, Leather And Lace (with Don Henley), Edge Of Seventeen and After The Glitter Fades. But, what else is on here?

The album instantly sucked me in. I don't know if it was really as good as I thought, or if it was just the right day at the right time. It feels haunting almost in its sound. At least for tracks Bella Donna and Kind Of Woman. It then snaps you from this trance with the drum and guitar strum intro of Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. Admittedly, this duet is not my favorite from Nicks (or Petty). I much prefer "Weird Al" Yankovic's Stop Draggin' My Car Around over the original.

From there, the album somewhat lost my attention. Before I knew it, two songs had come and gone. It wasn't until Edge Of Seventeen fired up that I was like, "Oh yeah. I'm listening to something."

Sadly, this momentum didn't last. After Seventeen, the album dumped me write off on the corner, and proceeded to leave me behind. Not even Leather And Lace could bring me back from this. In fact, I personally don't see what the big deal this particular song was. It's not very good.

At this point in the album, there was no coming back for me. I was bored with it. It didn't get any better. In fact, it got somewhat annoying. Like grating on my nerves annoying. I finally ended up skipping to the last song midway through Outside The Rain, and then turning it off within seconds of The Highwayman starting. I was just done with it.

I'm hoping that the latter 80's albums from Nicks offer more than what was delivered here. After hearing the first two tracks, I was really hoping to be delivered with a powerful and memorable album. Now, I honestly just want to forget it all.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment