Retro Spins: L.L. Cool J - Radio



L.L. Cool J is credited with being the first artist to release a full-length album on the Def Jam label. His album, Radio, was the start of not only the rapper's career, but also a twenty+ year relationship with the label.

While none of the tracks made it to the charts, the album is still notable for selling over 500,000 copies within five months. In 1985, this mas a major achievement for a rap artist. It also helped pave the way for other Def Jam artists, such as Beastie Boys and Public Enemy, who both made their debut on the label.

With the success of Radio, L.L. Cool J became one of the few rap artists to reach mainstream success. This only furthered his milestones by giving him the chance to be the first hip hop artist to appear on American Bandstand. If that weren't enough, it also contributed to Rick Rueben's credibility in the industry as a producer.

Sounds like this album was pretty important one. Guess I best get on the bandwagon and have a listing...

...And I'm back.

I can't help but feel like L.L. Cool J's Radio was the equivalent in 1985 as hearing The Beatles' Please Please Me in 1963. By that, I mean that it was probably groundbreaking, fresh and exciting all at the same time. This new sound taking people by storm, and with it, ushering in a new era of music.

Unfortunately, it's not 1985 and rap has been around for quite some time now. As a result, I don't think I got the full experience of the album.

To me, it was just eleven tracks - well, ten if you consider track six is just a bunch of acapella goofing about - of beat driven tunes. I didn't hear anything "bad", but I didn't hear anything that blew me away either. I also didn't hear anything really all that memorable. I suppose if I had to pull one track out of the bunch which actually caught my attention, it would be, That's A Lie.

Perhaps what also contributed to its lackluster appeal to me was my stance on rap music in general. While I've certainly grown to appreciate it more than I did in my prior years, it's still not my genre of choice.

Well, you know what? I'm at least trying different things in life. Experiencing new sounds. Broadening my horizons. At least I gave it a fair chance. That's more than I could say I would have done before.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment