Retro Spins: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure



Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is one of those rare times my mother actually went to a movie theater with my brother and I. When the film was over, she couldn't help but shake her head. She didn't understand what she saw on the screen, and couldn't believe two teenager's, Bill and Ted, could be so stupid. I'm sure as my brother and I walked out repeating lines and professing how bodacious the movie was that mom was a little worried about our futures.

Bill Preston (Alex Winter) and Ted Logan (Keanu Reeves) are two totally excellent dudes facing one most heinous histroy exam, in the whacked-out time-warped comedy BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE.

With the help of Rufus (George Carlin) an ultra-cool messenger in a time-traveling phone booth the triumphant twoesome bag a bevy of histroical heavyweights like the "bodacious philosopher" Socrates, "one very exceelent barbarian" Genghis Khan, the "short dead dude" Napoleon and "Noah's wife" Joan of Arc to stage the most hysterical high school project ever.

History's about to be rewritten by two guys who can't spell in the hilarious hit BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. - Back cover of the original VHS

The movie may be a classic, but the soundtrack is not. Out of the ten songs, Extreme's Play With Me, Big Pig's I Can't Break Away and Bricklin's Walk Away were the only three stand out tracks for me. The rest were quickly shuffled off to forgettable background noise. Fortunately, not of the "annoying" variety. Mind you, I didn't necessarily enjoy the vocals of Walk Away, but the guitar riff was most excellent. It's the one that plays during the boy's report / presentation at the end of the film. Wa na na na na, bla! That was my attempt at typing the tune out for you.

As a fan of the movie, it was definitely noticeable that there were some omissions from the soundtrack. I dug into the world of the internet to confirm, and yes, there are three songs in total missing; Range Wars No Right To Do Me Wrong, Rori's Party Up and Warrant's Game Of War. You also won't find Stevie Salas' Bad Guitar and Carlin's Solo - Not that these are full fledged songs.

Overall, this probably isn't an album I'd actively go back and listen to. At least not very often anyway...I have that darn guitar riff stuck in my head....Wa na na na na, bla!

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment