A Box From Branded In The 80's



A few months ago, Shawn over at Branded In The 80's put up a post about the original series one Marvel Universe Trading Cards. This was a set of trading cards I had during my teen years, along with series two and three, and I was really excited to read about him opening a box and putting his set together after all these years. While reading, I noted he said that he actually completed two sets, but didn't know what to do with the extra. I politely left a comment that I would most definitely be interested in them if he was willing to part with them. Shawn was quick to respond, asking me to send him my address.

Then the coronavirus hit. The world went nuts and people stopped going outside. Still, through all of this, Shawn didn't forget about me. In fact, when he reached out to tell me it was on the way, he hinted at an additional surprise inside. Today this arrived on my doorstep.


As I opened the Priority Mail box, I excitedly said, "Oh, wow! He gave me the original box! That was really awesome of him!" A great surprise indeed...


...Boy, I wasn't even close. As I flipped the lid open, I was greeted not only to a complete set of series one, but also series two! What?!?!?! I was so excited, grateful and thankful to see them both! Surprise indeed!


The memories came flooding back as I thumbed through the cards. These held a lot of importance to me as a young comic book collector. These were essentially my introduction to a lot of these characters. Who was Marvel Girl, High Evolutionary and Baron Von Zemo? I had no clue at the time, until I got these cards and read the backs.


I love the way these sets are broken up. Series one features Heroes, Villains, Rookies, Famous Battles, Most Valuable Comics, Teams, Spidey Comics and gets rounded out with a pair of Stan Lee and Checklist cards.


Series two starts out with the heroes and villains. But then incorporates new categories, such as,  Archenemies, Weapons and Legends. It then comes back to Rookies and Teams, finishing up the series with Power Ratings and a Checklist.


Such wonderful memories. I have long since wanted to add these cards back into my collection, but could never find them at Timonium when I went. Sure, I could have picked them up off of ebay, but that just wasn't the story I wanted for these. I have so many toys which were acquired this route, and there's no history to them at this point. No memory to reflect back on. Getting these cards from Shawn has definitely made them special and memorable. Amidst a pandemic and lock down, there's certainly a story to tell now.

Thanks, Shawn!

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! Very cool cards and so much nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. So many memories of just thumbing through these things.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful surprise. In these is good to see some good and uplifting things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It was really nice to get a package like this in the mail. Especially during these times.

      Delete
  3. So cool,man!Get those suckers In a binder ,quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered some card sleeves and boxes. Just playing the waiting game.

      Delete
  4. That was crazy generous! Nice haul.

    ReplyDelete