Retro Spins: DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince - He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper



Search the Weekly Top 40 in 1988 and you won't find DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince on it anywhere. That's too bad. Fortunately, this was rectified in 1988 when Parents Just Don't Understand won a Grammy for Best Rap Performance.

The album, He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper, is most notable for said hit, Parents Just Don't Understand and A Nightmare On My Street. However, in case you didn't know that the duo had a new album out, they made sure to clue you in with their track, Here We Go Again. The song not only tells you that you should have bought their prior album, but that the new one is out and readily available for purchase. It also clues you in on what the two have been up to.


Not being big into hip hop myself, DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince consist of the majority of my limited exposure to rap. I know that's not a very popular vote among rap purists who don't appreciate the silly nature of the two's music.

At one hour and twelve minutes, I appreciate the dedication to provide a record that gives fans their monies worth. It delivers solid beats, and has a fair amount of catchy songs to tap one's toes to. Being nostalgic minded, I have a soft spot for Human Video Game, which gives us classic hooks from some of the greatest 80's arcade hits.

Overall, it's a decent album, but not one I can see myself wanting to hear repeatedly. Definitely well worth catching up with it after decades since I heard it last.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Parents and Nightmare were fantastic songs. A lot of fun. I don't really remember the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any others got much, if any, air play.

      Delete