Retro Spins: Cyndi Lauper - A Night To Remember



Today's Retro Spin was a toss up between Cyndi Lauper's 1986 album True Colors and 1989 A Night To Remember. I ended up selecting the latter for two reasons. One, it has my all time favorite song from the singer on it. Two, as I went down the track listing of True Colors, my eyes landed on, Iko Iko, a terrible cover by Cyndi Lauper.

A Night To Remember starts out with a short and forgettable intro before jumping into my favorite song from Lauper, I Drove All Night. From there, I admittedly knew nothing else from the album.

As track two, Primitive, started up, I decided to hop over to the Weekly Top 40's site to look into the album a bit further. While looking, I have to admit, Primitive actually struck a good note with me. I was digging the tune and added it to my shuffle list.

With regards to the charts, it looks like Lauper had very little success with A Night To Remember. I Drove All Night reached number six, My First Night Without You charted and disappeared the following week at number ninety-six. After hearing the latter, I wasn't all that impressed with it. The song was just okay.

From there, the album took a bit of a nose dive. Even the title track, while okay, wasn't as impressive as I Drove All Night, which would have also made a great album title. Things picked up slightly, I'm talking just a tad bit, with track nine, Insecurious, but then immediately went back to relatively bland with track ten.

Overall, I maybe wanted more from this album than I got. Having my all time favorite song from Lauper on it, I guess I was just expecting more. I wanted to love it from start to finish. This never came to fruition, and it was pretty disappointing that it didn't. I don't hate A Night To Remember. I'm glad I took the time to hear it front to back. However, I don't see myself doing so again in the future.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment