Big Lick NOVA 2023! Part V: Art Suydam

 

Five posts in, and we're still talking about day one of Big Lick Nova 2023!

I was admittedly confused by Art Suydam’s signing practice, but certainly didn't hate it. He would only sign books for you if you bought a $20.00 print, but then he would also sign the print, and provide a signed certificate of authenticity for the print. So basically, you got three signatures from him for the price of one. Cool!

I ended up buying eight prints from him, five for me, and three for my girl. Mine were mostly Spider-Man related, but I also snagged a sweet Batman Versus Predator print which was essentially the duel cover of the classic 1991 / 1992 mini-series.



I dug how he doodled a little skull and crossbones in the UPC section of the print!


I really wanted to buy the physical issue he had of this McFarlane style Zombie cover. However, at $200.00, it was more than I wanted to spend. Especially for a modern book.



What was affordable was his entire run of Batman Versus Predator mini-series, which I promptly bought directly from Suydam. I had this set as a kid, and it was on my want list to replace. What better way to get it than to buy it directly from the man who did the covers?




In general, I thought it was brilliant how he brought two or three tables worth of his own books, and was selling them directly. Granted, these were not at cover price, but rather current market value. Regardless, I found this to be incredibly smart. How many more books would these creators sell if they had the foresight to bring stacks of them with them? It’s certainly difficult to walk away when both the “artist” and book are literally sitting at the same table.

My main reason for going to his table was to get my Echo of Futurepast one through five signed by him. In hindsight, I’m kicking myself for missing his name clearly on the Amazing Heroes issue fifty-one that I also had with me. I didn’t even notice this until I was home scanning the book in for this post, a full week later. Oh well…Maybe / hopefully next time.

Also signed by Michael Golden that same day!

Also signed by Michael Golden that same day!

Also signed by Michael Golden that same day!

Also signed by Michael Golden that same day!

Also signed by Michael Golden that same day!

Prior to leaving the table, Art took an interest in two Batman books I had with me, and asked if he could thumb through them. I didn't mind. Not at all. In general, it was interesting to see the reactions from these guys when they saw books they didn't know about, or in the case of Rick Leonardi, books they had worked on, but then stepped away from.

Mr. Suydam's table was actually the first one I went to at the show, and I was already having such a blast at this point. Oh, but things were about to get better and better...

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment