Retro Spins: Robert Palmer - Riptide



When you fire up an album, it's never a good thing when you find yourself asking, "What the heck is this nonsense?" That's exactly how I felt as the album titled track somber into the room through the speakers. Something odd took place at the one and a half minute mark of this two and a half minute song. I suddenly felt drawn in. It grabbed my attention, and didn't let go. Then it launched into Hyperactive, track two and I was hooked.

This was followed by Addicted To Love. While this song would go on to become one of Palmer's most popular songs, it wasn't actually the first from Riptide to chart. That honor goes to Discipline Of Love, which hit the charts at number ninety-three in November of 1985, but then immediately fell off.

Addicted To Love charted in February of 1986 at number eighty-three, and from there flew up to number one by May. As it drifted back down the charts over the coming weeks, it was joined by Hyperactive at number eighty. While this song would only make it to number forty-five, it wasn't the last from the album to hit the charts.

I Didn't Mean To Turn You On landed on the charts at number seventy-nine on August 16th, 1986 - Yeah, my birthday! Unfortunately it never got past the number two spot and would be the last song from the album to chart.

Throughout the album, I never came across any songs I "hated". Some definitely stood out above the rest, but there was nothing honestly bad here. As a whole, it's a pretty solid album, and it leaves me curious to hear further music from Palmer. That's always a good thing.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment