Retro Spins: REO Speedwagon - Wheels Are Turnin'



I had to brace myself when starting up REO Speedwagon's Wheels Are Turnin'. I'd never actually heard any of their albums, and I often equated them to "sissy rock". Sappy love songs, googly eyed girl crooning. "This couldn't be good," I though.

All of this went straight out the window with the guitar riff which launched track one, I Do' Wanna Know. It was pretty rockin'! So much so that I started the song again after a minute to make sure I was listening to the right album / band.

While I wish I could say that the entire album kept this kind of energy, it didn't. It dipped up and down between that sissy rock sound I identified the group with, and would occasionally throw in a harder track here and there.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible album. I pulled I Do' Wanna Know, Thru The Window, Can't Fight This Feeling and Wheels Are Turnin' from it for my IPOD shuffle, so it wasn't a total loss. That's about 47% of the album, which is pretty good I suppose.

Am I a fan of REO Speedwagon? No, not necessarily. However, I am intrigued to hear more from them.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment