Retro Spins: Diana Ross - Eaten Alive



Okay, before I start this write up, I have to be honest. I didn't listen to this album to hear Diana Ross. Instead, it was for the duet with Michael Jackson, the title track, Eaten Alive.

I found this album one day when doing a random search for songs by Michael Jackson. While I figured I'd find a bunch of demos or unreleased tracks, it totally never dawned on my that I would find duets which actually made their way to other singer's albums. In hind site, I can't believe this didn't dawn on me.

If finding Michael Jackson on the album wasn't enough, the treat got even bigger when I found out the Gibbs brothers wrote all of the songs for the record. Oh, the Gibbs would be Maurice, Robin and Barry, as in The Bee Gees. Even Andy Gibb contributes.

So now we have an album from the Motown legend, Diana Ross, which is written by all of the Gibbs, in some form or fashion and also features Michael Jackson. Listen hard enough, and you'll even hear the Gibbs singing backup vocals. Um, why am I just now learning about Eaten Alive?

With all of this talent crammed into it, Eaten Alive is fantastic from front to back, right? Well......No. Let me put it this way. At least the title track is the first song, because you get blasted in the face with pure awesomeness right from the start. However, the rest of the album is rather bland, boring and a hard pass.

For all the energy the title track packs in, the remaining ones go to the total opposite spectrum. Slow, ballads over saturate this thing. It was such a disappointment. I was seriously so annoyed with it. What made it worse was that I called my sister prior to firing it up and asked her if she knew about the album. I then called her forty minutes later to tell her how much it stunk. I feel like I've just been a part of a bait and switch.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments: