Retro Spins: Thin Lizzy - Thunder And Lightning



The Boys Are Back In Town. It's probably the only song most people know from Thin Lizzy. I would wager that if you took those people who knew the song, only half of them would know who sang it. Downer.

I suppose I can't really profess to be all the more in the know than most. While I knew the song, my formal introduction to the band didn't occur until I did a search for, "The Greatest Live Albums Of All Time". Regardless of the link I clicked, Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous seemed to always pop up. Because of this, I did the only thing I could think to do. I went and listened to it. While I'd love to tell you all about it, this post is not about that particular album. Rather, it's about the search I went on once I heard it.

Specifically, it was to another live show, Thin Lizzy In Concert, UK 1983. It's here that I heard several tracks which lead me to their studio versions from Thunder And Lightning. Which leads us to today's Retro Spin.

Admittedly, the live versions feel a bit more appealing than their polished studio versions. This felt odd to me, because I'm not particularly a fan of live albums. I suppose it could be that my first exposure to them was live, and therefore, that was my impression of how the songs should sound. I don't know.

Stand out tracks for me were definitely This Is The One and Holy War. As for the rest of it, it's not a terrible album. It's sort of okay, which makes it a little unmemorable. Overall, it's not an album I feel all that enriched by owning and listening to. Like I (somewhat) said above, I think the live versions were better.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment