The Birthday Shuffle

 

I honestly lost track of how old I was, and didn't really care to do the math. But, whatever the number is, today is the day!

I'm out for the week, with a slew of mini trips planned, so there's going to be plenty to do. In fact, as you read this, I'm probably out and about already.

Much like any other year, I got myself some gifts. Whereas in the past it was something "big", this year, I went for themed "little" things. Doing this not only meant I spent less than typically prone to do so, but also garnered quite the haul.


This set of Beavis and Butt-Head DVD's was actually the last items I purchased in the series of items I bought. While I have "The Complete Collection" DVD, what I came to find out was that set was anything but. While these six DVD's don't contain all of the missing segments, they do house quite a few of them.

While there are some discs that actually don't contain any "new" episodes I need, it was honestly cheaper to buy all six as a set than to cherry pick the handful I was on the hunt for.

I've come to accept that we'll never see the complete series of Alvin and the Chipmunks on DVD. Though that's disappointing, there are fortunately options to at least get a fix here and there.


I don't think I really understood the depths of what I was getting into when I started hunting these down. Not only are there a ton of them, but prices are all over the place. Further, some DVD's only garner one "new" episode not contained anywhere else.


In total, there are about twenty-four DVD's out there, and no, this isn't all of them. There is, however, a reason for that, which I'll share in a later post.


The series in its entirety had one hundred sixty-eight segments over eight seasons, nine specials, and one movie. Buying all the DVD's released to date will get you fifty-seven of the segments, seven of the specials, and the movie.


If there were one con to these DVD, well, with exception of the majority missing episodes, it would be the shelf space these are going to take. Still, I suppose I'd rather have them and deal with that problem, then to not have them at all.

When I first started thinking about what I wanted to get myself for my birthday, these below DVD's were actually the first thing to come to mind.

The 200X He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series was probably the best sequel the original series has had to date, in my humble opinion. I've wanted to add this to my collection for quite a while now, but the price was always way out of reach. Further, for a while, it was also a pretty difficult set to track down. Though I have my theory as to why, not only have the DVD's become more readily available on secondary markets, but prices have dropped, which made it much easier for me to finally get.

I also took my birthday as an opportunity to continue chiseling away at the very few NES games missing from my childhood collection. I'm just missing Silver Surfer, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Wrecking Crew. I'll get around to them one day.


Of course, it's not a birthday, or any day of the week I suppose, if there weren't CD's in the mix.


I still continue to whittle away at my list of 80's albums I'm on the hunt for. While I was at the end of the tunnel a few months ago, finding that 10,000 song playlist of the 80's that someone wrote and posted pushed me back up closer to 200. That's going to take a while to get through.


In all honesty, I actually didn't anticipate buying this many. It only happened because while searching Discogs I found a single seller who had a good amount of them, and it just made sense to do a mass purchase.


The others got purchased in smaller lots, also from Discogs, but again, that appeal to get multiple discs in one purchase made buying them much easier to do.


If I had my choice, I would rather find the CD's I'm on the hunt for out in the wild. However, I'm in a territory where the majority of what I'm looking for at this point is either obscure, or rare. Both make it difficult to find them in the wild.


It doesn't help that I'm still making my way through the above noted 10,000 songs list. So, every time I cross an album off my want list, three+ get added. I suppose it's a good problem to have, and keeps the hobby always feeling fresh.


Of course, the downside is that it also keeps the hobby constantly reaching into my wallet.


I don't know if I'll ever reach a point where I actually stop buying albums. I'm pretty sure that regardless of how many I get, I'll always find something "new" to appeal. I'm okay with that.

The last item I picked up was 100% impulse buy.

I've never listened to this album, and probably never will. Especially since this one is still shrink wrapped.

I don't know what led me to go searching for this on ebay, but when I found a brand new one for fifteen bucks with free shipping, I said, "Why not?" Did I need it? Absolutely not. But, it's fun. I'm going to put it on my shelf with my 2012 Toy Fair exclusive Nickelodeon Turtle figures.

And with all of that, my birthday is well off in high gear. I definitely went for quantity this year, which is easy to do when you're picking up three to seven dollar DVD's and CD's.

Psst....There is a Retro Spin post below this one.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

3 comments:

  1. Dang! Quiet Riot!!! Nice birthday haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been meaning to grab those two albums for a while.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff and also happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete