Retro Spins: Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money



It was 1984. John Denver was hosting the 1984 Grammy Awards. As he introduced the start of the show, the music began building to Donna Summer's She Works Hard For The Money, and with that, the award show was underway. Dancers ran down the isles past singers and celebrities onto the stage shaking and moving each step of the way. As they leapt to the stages, the curtain rose and Summers made her way down a set of stairs singing the lyrics to one of her best known songs. It was one of many that night which ingrained their way into my young mind, creating the soundtrack to my 1980's decade.

Summer's was not stranger to the world of music, having released her first album in 1974, and consecutively releasing more up through 1983's She Works Hard For The Money. She was also no stranger to hitting the charts with highly popular songs. Money debuted at number sixty-seven in May of 1984, and from there worked its way to number three, where it stayed for three consecutive weeks in August.

Adding Summer's 1983 album to my collection was a no brainer for me. I didn't know anything else from the singer, but was wanting rectify that. I also wanted to add her Grammy opening song to my collection.

Well..., if I'm being honest, I didn't much care for the album after listening to it. Something about it just wasn't for me. The tracks weren't gelling with me. In fact, I found myself often tuning it out. It was fun to hear the instantly recognizable Music Youth in the track Unconditional Love, but at the same time, they're not exactly a group I follow. I guess what I'm trying to say is it was fun, as I said, but not mind blowing. It also wasn't a very good song.

In fact, listening to this album only made me all the more interested in Musical Youth, to which I quickly set out upon a journey to find. That in and of itself turned into a very fascinating hunt, but I suppose here and now isn't really the time or place to get into it.

Overall, this album will serve its purpose in providing me with the track, She Works Hard For The Money. Unfortunately, beyond that, it won't serve much more purpose...With exception to perhaps a springboard into Musical Youth. Again though, this isn't the time or place for that.


Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment