Cartoons Of The 80's: 1981

 

Welcome back to my year end wrap up, as I make my way through the wonderful cartoons of the 80's. Join me as we look at the various series that helped shape and develop our young minds, while eating box after box of sugar laden cereal in our pajamas.

This week, we're off to 1981, a year which is admittedly a bit obscure to me, but one I want to learn more about.

Title: Blackstar
Air Date: September - December 1981
Seasons: One
Episodes: Thirteen
DVD Release: Yes

Blackstar was a Filmation property, and featured a lot of notable similarities that would soon become the company's He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe series. While I've not seen any episodes from this show, the He-Man reference is enough for me to want to check it out.

While it has been released on DVD, it appears to be long out of print. As such, it's not too cheap. For as eager as I am to want to see it, I can't justify spending $75.00 plus for thirteen episodes...Yet.

Title: Goldie Gold And Action Jack
Air Date: September - December 1981
Seasons: One
Episodes: Thirteen
DVD Release: No

Goldie what and Action who? I have never heard of this show in my life.

The wiki synopsis clued me in to this being a show about a girl, Goldie, who inherits a newspaper company, and she works along side her reporter friend, Action Jack. With no mention of villains, or what the two do beyond working in an office. it doesn't sound all that interesting.

There's been no DVD releases to date, but apparently there are a handful of VHS tapes from 1985 and '86 which feature four of the thirteen episodes produced. I think if this one came to DVD that I might be intrigued enough to pick it up. For nothing else, to see what it's about.

Title: Heathcliff And Marmaduke
Air Date: September - December 1981
Seasons: One
Episodes: Thirteen
DVD Release: No

If you recall my post on 1980, you may remember reading about Heathcliff And Dingbat. That show was the original iteration of Heathcliff, and transitioned into this all new series, dropping Dingbat, and adding Marmaduke.

Regardless, I've never seen this one, and considering it's not on DVD, I don't suppose I'll get the chance to any time soon. What's odd is that both the original Heathcliff And Dingbat series are on DVD, as well as the highly popular 1984 Heathcliff (and the Cadillac Cats). So why no love for Marmaduke?

Title: The Kid Super Power Hour
Air Date: September 1981 - September 1982
Seasons: Unknown
Episodes: Thirty-Eight
DVD Release: No

The Kids Super Power Hour is mostly notable for featuring segments of Shazam, DC's doppelganger of its own Superman. It was part live action, part cartoon, all around cheese. This show is dated, and it doesn't live up well to the times.

Though it's never been released in its entirety on DVD, you can grab a complete series DVD of the Shazam cartoons. Considering they were the best part of the show that I suppose this is somewhat of a win.

Title: The Kwicky Koala Show
Air Date: September 1981 - September 1982
Seasons: One
Episodes: Sixteen
DVD Release:Yes

Was this supposed to be the answer to Droopy? Because the similarities are few and far between. Perhaps the biggest offender, at least for me as a kid, was that Kwicky Koala was so boring. It never held my attention when it was on. The characters were pretty forgettable.

Everything I keep reading about the show is how funny it was, so perhaps I need to give it another chance as an adult viewer. Considering the whole series is available on DVD, this shouldn't be difficult to accomplish.

Title: Lavern & Shirley In The Army
Air Date: October 1981 - November 1982
Seasons: Two
Episodes: Twenty-One
DVD Release: Yes

I missed out on this one as a kid, but I'm mad excited to get a chance to watch it now that it's on DVD in its entirety.

I think what intrigues me the most about it, well despite its nostalgic draw, is the fact that the original voice actresses were involved with the series. Even Henry Winkler's The Fonz makes an appearance.

It's currently a tad bit high priced for my liking, but I'm definitely going to get around to this one soon.

Title: The Smurfs
Air Date: September 1981 - December 1989
Seasons: Nine
Episodes: Two Hundred Fifty-Eight
DVD Release: Some

When The Smurfs started coming out on DVD a few years ago, I was incredibly excited. If there's one series I grew up on, it was this one, and I loved it.

Sure, it got a little crazy during its latter years with the introduction of Grandpa, Wild and the Smurflings, but one thing it always retained was heart. You cared about this little three apples high blue beings. Villains like Gargamel, his cat Azrael, Big-Mouth and Hogitha added conflict and depth to the show, and sometimes, you even felt sorry for them. Why did they hate the Smurfs? Was that question ever answered?

The USA only saw seasons one and two released. However, PAL countries have gotten farm more on DVD. That's not fair.

Title: Space Stars
Air Date: September 1981 - January 1982
Seasons: One
Episodes: Eleven
DVD Release: Yes

This show featured everything that I didn't like in my 80's cartoons. Slow paced. Boring characters. There was nothing about it that appealed to me. Hanna Barbera simply couldn't let Space Ghost, The Herculoids, and all the others from this series, go. It was if they were determined to cram them down kid's throats by any means.

Even though it's readily available on DVD, I would never spend a dime on this series. Can't stand it.

Title: Spider-Man
Air Date: September 1981 - March 1982
Seasons: One
Episodes: Twenty-Six
DVD Release: No

I missed this one as a kid, which was quite the downer, but got the chance to see them all on Disney Plus. It's definitely a product of the past, but it's still pretty good. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

What I found the best about it was how it depicted all of the various villains. While their voices sometimes felt off, the story telling felt true to the characters, almost like a watchable comic book.

It's unfortunate that this series hasn't made its way to DVD yet, but who knows. Now that Disney is in control of all things Marvel, that could change. Fingers crossed.

Title: Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends
Air Date: September 1981 - November 1983
Seasons: Three
Episodes: Twenty-Four
DVD Release: Yes

Much like the prior mentioned Spider-Man show, I had to catch this one on Disney Plus as well.

For me, it's not as good as the stand alone series. Spider-Man shares a lot of screen time with Firestar and Iceman, and neither one of them are all that interesting. It's essentially Spider-Man sandwiched between fire and ice with almost a Scooby-Doo kind of vibe. I wasn't feeling it.

Unlike the above noted show, this one is available on DVD in its entirety. But it's kind of expensive.

Title: The Tarzan / Lone Ranger / Zorro Adventure Hour
Air Date: 1981 - 1982
Seasons: Unknown
Episodes: Unknown
DVD Release: Partly

I talked about this show in my 1980 post when it was named just The Tarzan / Lone Ranger Adventure Hour. As I mentioned then, this was not a show that appealed to me, and as such, I didn't watch it as a kid.

The Lone Ranger and Zorro segments have made their way to DVD, but the Tarzan copyright remains that of its original creator, and his estate has not allowed for any DVD releases to date. Well, let me rephrase. They either haven't allowed or been asked.

Title: Trollkins
Air Date: September 1981 - September 1982
Seasons: One
Episodes: Thirteen
DVD Release: No

I've never seen this show, but a glance at the title card certainly intrigues me to do so. Wiki describes it as a cross between The Smurfs and The Dukes Of Hazzard. I can only imagine how bizarre that combo is.

Sadly, it's not on DVD, so getting a chance to see this one is going to be limited to Youtube, if it's even on there.

That wraps up 1981, and I'm off to put together 1982. I hope you join me for it next week.

This series of posts encompasses the following:

1980
1981
1982
1983
1984
1985
1986
1987
1988
1989

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about many of these. However, I do remember Tarzan/Lone Ranger, the Smurfs and Spider Man and his Amazing Friends. My mind was blown when they showed the new X-Men on that show. I was like "no way!" I always cracked up at the Purple Smurf episode of the Smurfs. Reminds me of the COVID pandemic, or the Walking Dead. Lavergne and Shirley cartoon?....wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Smurf's episode is classic! Biting each other on the back side to turn them purple! Lavern & Shirley In The Army is on my list to grab on DVD.

      Delete