Retro Spins: Top Gun



I remember the day the VHS arrived at our house in Oregon. It was in a brown envelope which I took the liberty for dad and went ahead and opened. I immediately knew what it was because my friends had been talking about the film for weeks on the playground. I of course had to lie and say, "I've seen it," even though at the time I hadn't. However, now was my opportunity to actually watch the movie and put aside the lies. I did just that. That VHS got many viewings between then and the summer of 1990, when we moved and I honestly stopped watching a lot of movies.

A hip, heart-pounding combination of action, music and incredible aerial photography helped make Top Gun the blockbuster hit of 1986.

Top Gun takes a look at the danger and excitement that awaits every pilot at the Navy's prestigious fighter weapons school. Tom Cruise is superb as Maverick Mitchell, a daring young flyer who's out to become the best of the best. And Kelly McGillis sizzles as the civilian instructor who teaches Maverick a few things you can't learn in the classroom. - Back of the original VHS

The soundtrack to Top Gun isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn close. There's actually only two songs from it which I don't particularly care for, but at the same time don't mind listening to. Those would be Loverboy's Heaven In Your Eyes and Berlin's Take My Breath Away. But heck, even Berlin didn't like their song. They broke up shortly after recording it and blame their demise on it.

The reason I don't like these songs is because they detract from an otherwise high energy soundtrack, and quite honestly don't fit in. Songs like Cheap Trick's Mighty Wings, Miami Sound Machine's Hot Summer Nights and Larry Greene's Through The Fire. The other songs I didn't mention, are just, plain and simple, good. I mean, come on, has Kenny Loggin's written and performed a bad song for an 80's soundtrack? If so, I don't know what it is.

I honestly can't say enough good things about this album. Suffice to say, if you haven't heard it, you're missing out.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment