Mail Call!



It's fun to receive packages. Even when you know what's in them. There's just something about being able to say, "It really is mine now," as you hold it in front of your face. Join me, will you, as I open today's USPS haul. 


Though I was expecting a total of eight packages, only five arrived. This means two of the books I'm itching to get in my hands remain in transit. I suppose I should also just go ahead and throw out there that these are all comic books, so if you were expecting toys, sorry.


This giant Newkadia box was one I have been waiting on for a few weeks. Due to the pandemic, this company was working on a really limited staff, delaying all orders. This was a box I really wanted to get into my hands because of importance to my overall collection.


None of these issues of The Spectacular Spider-Man or the Web Of Spider-Man annuals are anything special, key comics wise. What they do encompass are the final issues needed to complete my run of both series, which are now 100% complete.


Next up is this little white package.


This one contained Marvel Team-Up, issue number 103. This is a series I am actively working on finishing next, with just 23 issues to go. This particular book features the second appearance of Taskmaster.


Which leads me to this package, another purchase from MyComicsShop.com.


You see the crease in the box and you think, "Oh no!" But true to form, the books were well packed, as usual. Meaning no damage, despite what chaos the USPS attempts to create.


The package featured Marvel Team-Up issue number four, with exception of having a low number, has no real relevance in terms of being a key book. Now The Amazing Spider-Man 176, 177, 178 and 179 are another story, no pun intended. 176 features the first appearance of Bart Hamilton as the Green Goblin, while the rest are his story arc. The character would eventually die in issue 180, but I already had that book. Looking forward to getting to these stories as I make my way through reading Spider-Man in order.


All of these books, so far, are great addition to my collection, but let's jump into something even juicier. 


There were about five layers of bubble wrap around this book. The seller wasn't playing around with it arriving intact, and for the price I paid, it was appreciated.


The two books in the back were thrown in unexpectedly, but I already had them - Still, nice of the seller to include them. But, it's the book on top I actively purchased. The Amazing Spider-Man issue 20, the first appearance and origin of The Scorpion. This is one of my favorite stories from the original series (so far).


Last up, that I received so far, is another key book I have wanted for quite some time.


If you thought the protection of the prior package was impressive, check this out. This seller was taking zero chances. Not only was it resting within its own bed of padding, but also had the benefit of being encased in a CCG graded case - Which I promptly cracked open and discarded. For those of you wondering, it was a 4.0. For the price I paid, I wanted the entire book, not its hard shell coating.


The Amazing Spider-Man issue 15 is officially my lowest number in the series. This honor was number 28 for the longest and would have gone to the above number 20 if not for this purchase. This particular book features the first appearance of Kraven the Hunter. While he's not my favorite Spidey villain, I felt I needed to grab this book now with the speculation of him being featured in an upcoming film.


For those of you unfamiliar with what happens, when word starts to spread about rumored characters appearing in big screen Marvel adaptations, prices start to increase rapidly. Worst of all, they don't come back down, even if the film stinks. As such, I didn't want this to be a book which would increase to the point that it would be out of my obtainable price range - Such as many of the books prior to this issue already are.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a full run of The Amazing Spider-Man, but I simply cannot justify, nor afford, individual issues which would cost me $1,000.00 or more in poor condition.

There are a couple more key books in transit to me, and I'm excited to physically hold them in my hands and say that they're mine. Stay tuned for future mail call posts.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment