Retro Spins: Bananarama - True Confessions

 

Bananarama strikes me as what the Spice Girls would have sounded like if they were an 80's band. There's no real "lead" singer. Instead, they all sing at the same time, just different pitches, while throwing in their own distinct sounds and what not. It makes for unique songs, but not necessarily good ones.

True Confessions, the song and the album, starts with a fantastic drum beat, which being a drummer myself, hooked me right away. I was really into it until the girls themselves started singing. From there, I dipped out pretty quick.

Between ballads and fairly bland and generic synth tracks, I really found myself uninterested in the album. All of this by track number three. With the exception of Venus, which wouldn't make its way around until track six, I'd never heard any of the songs on this album, and at this point I really wasn't excited for it. However, I suppose it would be fair to say I never really fancied myself a Bananarama fan to begin with, so it's not like they had that going for them to begin with. In other words, the bar was already pretty low in terms of expectations.

Things didn't get better with the song, Dance With A Stranger, which sounded like something you would hear at a cocktail lounge, or if instrumental, in an elevator. I was starting to realize quickly why I didn't hear much from the group in the 80's beyond their handful of hits. Had I not been working while listening to the album, I probably would have started skipping through the tracks.

That's not to say the album was a total loss. I did hear tracks that were okay. However, here in lied the problem. As I said, they were just okay. Not catchy. Not memorable. Not something I necessarily wanted to hear again. Overall, it was just decent 80's music. I suppose in the long run, there's not much more you can ask for. Sure, it's great when you get excited about a song and want to hear it over and over again. But, at the same time, at least it wasn't annoying and terrible.

I don't see myself venturing out any further in the realm of Bananarama. I have their three albums which encompass their few hits, and I think that's going to be good enough for me.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment