Retro Spins: Nu Shooz - I Told You So



I have this problem. When I see 80's albums from artists I know in a dollar bin, I pick it up. Even if I don't know any of the songs on it. Even if the artist was considered a one hit wonder. Something in my head says, "You can't leave this here."

Such is the case of today's Retro Spins, Nu Shooz...Shooz's? Yeah, their follow up album, I Told You So. I had zero expectations for this record.

I was honestly surprised to see the song, Should I Say Yes?, had hit the charts in 1988. Though it only made its way to forty-one, I would have thought I would have at least heard it before. It was an okay tune, but by no means was it anything really memorable.

As I listened more and more to the tracks, something bad happened, quickly followed by something I found rather amusing. First, I started to feel like every song was sounding too familiar from the last (the bad). There was really nothing distinguishing each track. The had the same pace, the same sound, and the same dull lyrics. Then the funny happened. Track four, Wonder, started, and I busted out laughing. The music sounded straight out of a Leisure Suit Larry game. I'm sure you'd have had to been there, and be thinking what I was thinking for it to be funny, but to me, it was. That kind of derailed the whole listening session a bit.

From there, I found myself getting bored with the album. To the point where I was actually sitting back in my chair with my eyes closed, fighting the urge to fall asleep. The songs weren't poorly written. They weren't annoying sound. They were just boring.

Overall, the album has too much of an "easy listening" vibe to it. All the songs are slow paced, and don't evoke any form of excitement in them. This is the kind of album you'd have thrown on in the 80's if you had a woman over for dinner, and were on your couch with a glasses of wine. It's by no means top 40 material, and it's also no surprise it was Nu Shooz last album for a very long time.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment