Marvel Team-Up Explosion



Ever since I started collecting comics again, I mean, really collecting, it was always my intentions to stay primarily focused on Spider-Man. Yet oddly enough, Marvel Team-Up was a series I kept skipping over. For the longest time, this was the extent of what I had, and only because they mainly tied into the Symbiote story line.


Of course as I type that, right on top sits a copy of issue three, which is the third appearance of Morbius. This one only ended up in my collection (at the time) because it was sold with issue 102 of The Amazing Spider-Man. Regardless, the moral of the story was my collection of the tile was minimal.

Then May 12, 2020 happened. It all started with the seller having a lot forty-six issues for only sixty-three dollars. I did the math, adjusting for the six issues in the lot I already had and came up with $1.57 per issue. Not bad. However, the description of the listing, while it did state the books were in good to very fine condition, didn't provide many details and the main photo was just one large stack of books, with the others being a very select few of the key issues. I decided I would think about it, and kept looking through the various listings. However, it was crucial to note that none of the issues were duplicates.

I came across a second lot. Same guy, different listing. This time it was for fifty-eight issues of Marvel Team-Up for seventy-two dollars. This lot had not only all the books from the prior mentioned one, but obviously ten more books. Once again I adjusted for the issues I already had and came up with $1.41 per issue. Better price, more books, heck yeah! However, I still wasn't ready to click the "Buy It Now" button. Why? Because this listing too had a photo that consisted mainly of one giant stack. This time, I added the listing to my watch list and reached out to the seller asking for more photos. Once again, no duplicate issues were included in the lot and the books were noted as good to very fine condition.

As I waited for a reply to come, if one would at all, I continued perusing the various listings. Then it happened. BAM! Same seller. one hundred twenty-three issues of Marvel Team-Up for one hundred eight dollars. No duplicates, all in good to very fine condition. For those of you familiar with the series, you may be aware that there are only one hundred fifty issues and seven annuals in the entire series. Another quick calculation, adjusting one final time for the issues I had already, and I came up with $1.55 per issue. Despite the limited pictures, it was a no brainer. I had to have this lot and I wasn't waiting to ask questions.

Literally within the span of seconds to buy it, and a few days to get it, my collection expanded with all these additional books.


Mind you, this photo did not include the issues I already had in the box. Those got added in later. More so a note for myself is that issue number one on the top of the box, as well as, Annual one further down in it, were not a part of the lot. I purchased those from two separate sellers the same day so I could cross them off my list. No sense in not having issue one. Additionally, with annuals two through seven being inclusive with the lot, I felt it appropriate to wrap up that collection by getting number one, so as to have all seven.

Now I won't lie and say that I was one hundred percent pleased with every issue. There are a handful of them which have writing on the cover or the overall condition is not really what I would have wanted in my collection. However, there can't be more than ten books which fall into this category, and I dare say it's probably even less than that. In all likelihood I'll probably just replace the three which are written on and call it a day.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It's a main series wedged right in the main eras of Spider-Man, 70's and 80's, which I really wanted to get around to, but was always so busy buying other related titles and issues instead that I never did. The shear volume, and ability to cross off 85%+ of the series in one fell swoop certainly made it worth while.

For a closer look, click "HERE" to see my Order of Battle post showcasing my collection to date.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment