Marvel Legends Retro 3.75 (Hasbro)

 

2024 already? Well...I suppose in the word's of Mario. "HERE WE GO!"

Marvel Legends Retro 3.75
Hasbro
2020 - 2023

A reoccurring conversation that George of G.I. Jigsaw and I used to have would revolve around the Marvel Legends Retro 3.75 line. Specifically, regarding when I would give in and buy all the figures. My response would always be the same, and to the tune of, "There are a few I want, but for now I am limiting myself to the ones related to Spider-Man." I would then follow this up stating that there was no reason to give in and buy any others now, including the ones I wanted outside of the Spider-Man realm because soon these would over saturate the market, and people would be trying to give them away just to get rid of them.

Well, that time has apparently come.

The line, which began in the thick of the 2020 pandemic, was announced during Hasbro's very first online Pulsecon event. Though many more were promised to be coming, these first few would be released as duel packs, and boast a "1st" logo for collector's to showcase their support of the line.


Each two-pack came in a very nice box, which housed the figures, and admittedly, these are nice. When they were first announced, I almost took the plunge right then and there, but opted to be patient. I knew right off the bat that the Spider-Man / Electro pack appealed to me, but I wanted to see what Hasbro would do with the line before opting in. Too many times I have seen toy lines come and go in the blink of an eye, leaving them barren of "key" figures. While this line started out full steam ahead, and seemed to be on track to deliver, obviously, with the 2023 cancellation announcement, that seems to ultimately be the case here.


Regardless, I won't deny these little 3.75 plastic hunks didn't intrigue me.


One of the first red flags I saw in the line was the immediate repaint and repackage of Iron Man and Black Panther. It was the early signs of things to come, specifically in the repack department.


Wave one of the figures followed shortly thereafter that same year, hitting store shelves, mostly comic shops, but sprinkled in around local Walmarts and Targets (sporadically).

Among the first six figures were the repacks of Spider-Man and Captain America, this time with the removal of the "1st" logo. It was bound to happen. There's no way Hasbro would release these to mass market and omit key figures to the Marvel brand. As such, it also became very apparent that the "early bird" boxes sold during Pulsecon were over priced, with the majority of the money going to the unique box.

The wave was fleshed out with new figures Carol Danvers, Human Torch, Hulk, and Magneto. Torch and Hulk remain two of the figures I would eventually like to pick up because of their affiliation and frequent appearances in Spider-Man comics.

Waves two, three, and four hit shelves throughout 2021, and with it came the remaining Pulsecon figures, with exception of the repaints of Black Panther and Iron Man.

Captain America would also once again be packed into wave two cases.

New figures Daredevil, Elektra, and Iceman rounded out series two, and admittedly, I wouldn't mind having all three of them. Daredevil and Iceman for their appearances in Spider-Man, and Elektra because...Well, why have Daredevil, and not her? Oh, how the rabbit hole begins.

It was an interesting decision on behalf of Hasbro that they didn't release all of the Fantastic Four as a single wave, or better yet, in a four pack. When I saw that wave two wrapped up without an additional figure from the team, I actually wondered for a moment what the company was thinking. Not that I'm a fan of Marvel's first super hero team, but more so because it only served to create doubts that these figures would be coming soon.

Hasbro did seem to hold my concerns at bay for a moment when wave three hit the market. While we got one repacked figure, in the form of Black Panther, this series finally delivered a slew of new characters, including Invisible Woman.

On a personal level, this wave didn't particularly scream "buy me" to me, and helped to ease my overall interest in the line.

Grey Hulk may be nothing more than a repaint of the original green version, but man, that's one cool figure.


The confusion sets in with wave four for me. Why on Earth would you release a Loki figure, but not a Thor? I get it, there was a streaming series of the character out at the time, but still, the omission of Thor simply screamed idiotic to me at the time...And apparently even now.


The repaints got extra heaving in this series, but there was no way I was passing up a black suit Spider-Man. This was my tipping point, and would become the first figure I would buy, and only because I found it on the shelf of a local shop I was at. I remember grabbing a few other figures as well, but telling myself to put them back. This may have been the point where I decided that if I was going to get into this line, it would be strictly Spider-Man related.

2022 made way for waves five, six, and seven, and the eventual completion of the Fantastic Four. Additionally, Thor would finally be released in the series six.


Venom became the first figure I would pre-order, and then wait impatiently for. As not only a big Spider-Man fan, but of McFarlane's run on the titles,this was one I wanted not only for the plastic inside the bubble, but the card art. It was also around this time that I ordered plastic protectors for them to be housed in.



With the release of Green Goblin, I finally was invested in this line. I could see in my head all the various Spidey based villains that would eventually come, and I wanted to collect them all. Kraven, Doc Ock, Shocker, Hydro, Sandman, and even supporting characters such as Aunt May, Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, and Black Cat...You know...All the figures that never came out because the line was ultimately cancelled.



Pulsecon released an all new exclusive for the line, something I knew was inevitable, but hated all the same. If there's anything that kills a line faster for me, it's exclusives. Fortunately, being X-Men characters, I had no interest. Not that I had bought anything outside of the realm of Spider-Man at this point anyway.



My excitement for Marvel Legends Retro grew with series seven. While it started out with a couple repacks, in the form of Captain America and Iron Man, the inclusion of an Amazing Fantasy version of Spider-Man and Firestar got me excited. These figures would become my next pre orders.


While I suppose it could be argued that this version of Spider-Man is nothing more than a repaint of the original, Hasbro at least bothered to include the webbing under his arms. Fun fact, this is something that disappeared as the character evolved, and would be brought back years later when McFarlane began drawing the character.


Okay, so Firestar isn't technically a Spider-Man character, but she was first introduced in a one-shot issue which featured her, Iceman, and Spider-Man. The trio were also popular in the 70's cartoon, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. So, for me, she is relevant to him. I suppose I need an Iceman now too...

Things seem to be ramping up big for the line in 2023 when the first vehicle / figure combo, and oversized figure were announced.


Admittedly, I kind of wanted this Ghost Rider figure until I saw the one George had. What a waste of that giant box for how small the thing was. I mean, the figure is still cool, but I'll pass on the bike.



While I picked up a Spectacular Spider-Man variant, at this point, it was obvious that Hasbro was going to phone in the releases of his figures. Basically, new package, same figure. Rinse and repeat. I fully expected a Web of Spider-Man figure would follow.


Though I went back and fourth on it a few time, I also ended up picking up a Spider Woman.

While I would periodically check in on the world of Marvel Legends Retro over the following months for what new figures would follow, that announcement never came. Instead, articles started surfacing about how Hasbro would be taking a hiatus from the line. Following this, stores like Ollies and Ross seemed to be inundated overnight with peg warmers that retailers couldn't sell.

I suppose on one hand, my prediction came true. These figures are over saturating shelves, and being blown out. On the other hand, I'm sad. Disappointed even. There was a moment in the middle of waves one through eight where I started to see the potential for this series, and even started putting together my own little want list in my mind.

This is one of the biggest reasons I hate current lines of toys. They start, hit hard, and then disappear, leaving them feeling incomplete. At least with vintage lines, I know what's out there, so I know what to expect if / when I decide to dive into them. I'm just tired of being disappointed in the long run.


While I wish the line had filled in the gaps I was personally hoping to see come to fruition, I suppose I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the ones that I did get. Is something better than nothing? Yeah, I guess.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

6 comments:

  1. Very disappointed on how this line ended. In particular, loved the card art. So much potential for more figures. Oh well. Not profitable enough, cancel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasbro has proven time and time again that they don't know how to properly manage brands. Prices go up, quality goes down, product is relatively unavailable to the general public, and exclusive don't help either. All of those aspects frustrate your average collector, and overshadow their desires to purchase.

      Delete
    2. You hit the nail right on the head.

      Delete
  2. I've seen some of these turn up at Big Lots for $5/ea. Perfect pricing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the price point these should have been at. Dollar per articulation.

      Delete
  3. I'm focusing on Legends 6" right now but I'll be recollecting these at some point. Nice set up and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete