Christmas 2023, Part 1!

 

Those of you who know me already know that I am a firm believer that if there's one person who should get "you" a gift for your birthday or Christmas, it should be yourself. You know what you want. You work hard for your money. Reward you for being you!

This year I picked up comics and DVD's for myself. Trying to keep it cheap(er) than past years, and a little more reasonable.

First up is some Spider-Man goodness. Though I don't typically stray past 1998, there are a handful of story arcs which I was interested in reading. Technically, this one is part of volume one, when the series returned back to the normal numbering after volume two (yeah, it can get confusing). Shed tells a brutal tale of the Lizard over a four story arc starting in issue 630, and ending in 633. The only reason I picked up issue 629 was because the cover blurb eludes to a prologue lead in. I won't spoil the story, but someone close to Doctor Connors, aka Lizard, dies in a very gruesome way.

This next set of books may have been a rabbit hole I opened for myself.

I had been toying (no pun intended) around with the idea of collecting some of the original Marvel run of G.I. Joe, but never took the plug. The reason being that every time I saw the older issues, specifically 2 and 3, they were always the second prints. Well, a fateful trip to a local comic shop during a lunch break at work found me coming across a stack in the stores new acquisitions bins. The prices were too good to pass up, and the fact that they were first prints kind of sealed the deal. This could get out of control fast.

Next up were three DVD's.

I've been selectively picking up some of the Hanna-Barbera print on demand cartoon collections which were a staple of my childhood, but outside of the realm of the 80's. This year, I decided to pick up the complete collections of Josie and the Pussycats, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, and Jabberjaw.

The last two items I picked up were ones I'd wanted for a while, but could never bring myself to commit.

If you read last week's post, you may have seen these two.

I'm a big fan of the Spider-Man symbiote suit era. It may very well be my absolute favorite point in history for the character. Well, these two preview books showcase the first (came out before The Amazing Spider-Man 298) and third (came out after The Amazing Spider-Man 298)  appearances of Venom. Not personally in my wheelhouse of the symbiote story arc, but something I definitely wanted to add to my collection. That Todd McFarlane cover on Comics Scene is worth the price of admission on its own!

And from there, Christmas only got bigger and better! Tune in next week for more!

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment