Big Lick NOVA 2023! Part XIII: Black Suit Spider-Man Preview

 

Every post you've seen to date regarding Big Lick NOVA 2023 were all leading up to this point. Yes, there were hundreds of books I've already shown you that were signed, but it all comes down to these final ones. These were the handful of books that regardless of whatever else I got signed, these were the top tier of my list.

In October 1983, the world got its first look at the all new black suit that Spider-Man would receive in the pages of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars, and continue to wear throughout his multiple ongoing titles. That appearance was in The Comics Journal issue 85.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

While multiple artists would ultimately be tasked with the job of drawing Spider-Man in the following issues, it was Rick Leonardi who's designs would appear in the various preview magazines to come.

November 1983's issue of Amazing Heroes 35 featured the second preview appearance.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

Probably the most difficult to find preview issue is the December 1983 Heroes Hotline number four, which showcases the third official appearance.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

This book continued to elude me, and it wouldn't be until a couple weeks leading up to the convention that I would finally get one in my collection.

The Comics Reader number 215 was also released in December 1983, and features the fourth preview appearance of the black suit.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

In January 1984, Amazing Heroes released issue number 39, and it became the titles second appearance of the black costume, and fifth overall preview.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

It wouldn't be until March 1984 that Marvel would finally publish its own images, this time showcasing for the first (and only time) the black suit with red replacing all of the white.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

The final preview appearance was one I didn't know existed until Thursday April 6, 2023, just a little over one week leading up to the show. It took a lot of communication and coordination with the seller to make the purchase and ensure it was shipped in time to take to the show with me. I received it on Monday the 10th.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

Amazing Heroes 45, dated April 1984,  isn't often discussed as a preview appearance of the black suit, but it most certainly is. The reason it's often missed is because it's overshadowed by it also being the first advertisement for issue number one of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I keep these books bagged and boarded with a faux reprint of the original letter from Jim Shooter to Randy Schueller offering to purchase the fan's black suit Spider-Man concept. Truthfully, I know that Randy is, well, a no-name in comics, but I would let him sign these books if I ever met him. Credit where credit is due.

All of the above were followed by The Amazing Spider-Man issue 252, which is noted as the first full appearance in comics of the black suit Spider-Man.

Among my preview issues I took to get signed were the following books that featured articles on Marvel Secret Wars one and two.



I kept turning to a page in Comics Interview 14 that featured an image of Spider-Man in his black suit, and kept asking myself, "Is that Rick Leonardi's art?" I showed it to him at the show, and he stated it was. Naturally, that meant I had to get it signed by him.

Signed by Jim Shooter and Rick Leonardi

These preview books excite like minded collectors like me because they give us something unique to chase. Once you own the books associated with first appearances, it's fun to then go on the hunt for where all the previews occurred. Not too many people seem interested in them, which is a good thing, because they're sometimes very difficult to find, and expensive to boot. You have to keep in mind, many people who read these simply did so to get information, and then threw them out. I'm very happy to have these in my collection, and to now have them signed.

Amazing trip. Amazing times, and would you believe I still have one final reveal coming in my visit to Big Lick NOVA 2023? It's true. See you next week for that...

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment