Retro Spins: Mike Oldfield - Crises



I'm not opposed to songs which take up the entire side of an album. When done correctly, they can be an amazing rock opus. Rush did it with 2112, and while that's the one most common to me, there are other greats, such as, Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita, Pink Floyd's Echoes and Alice's Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie, just to name a handful.

However, when done wrong, such as when people don't know what your vision is for the song, therefore rendering them unable to really step into the moment with you, you end up with a mess. This is where I'm at with Mike Oldfield's twenty minute Crises, which takes up the entire first side of said titled album. Consisting of 99.9% instrumental music, it really just serves to be an extended wall of sound.

I purchased this album for one single song, Moonlight Shadow, which features Maggie Reilly on lead vocals. Sadly, this is the only song I ended up getting out of the deal. I suppose since I got what I wanted from it that I should be content, but I'm not. The price wasn't necessarily justifiable, and I definitely expected more for how much I like that particular track.

If there is one certainty that came from this, it's that I won't be journeying any further into the world of Mike Oldfield. Not much more to say beyond that.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment