Retro Spins: Stevie Wonder - Characters



The saving grace to your album shouldn't be a duet with another, more popular, artist. But, that's exactly where we are with Stevie Wonder's 1987 album, Characters.

Now, admittedly, R&B isn't exactly my genre. It's because of this that the songs on this album don't necessarily appeal to me. However, Stevie Wonder has definitely produced songs in the past which I really enjoy.

I guess the biggest problem for me with Characters, was I that I was expecting to hear peppy hits, such as, Part Time Lover and I Just Called To Say I Love You. Instead, what I got was heavy funk, R&B, with a mixture of ballads. The only standout track, for me, was the duet with Michael Jackson, Get It. Mind you, even for Michael Jackson, it's not mind blowing. It's just okay.

Look, there's no doubt he's put in the work to build a long career, and with his handicap, that was probably no small feat. I'm sure he has fans worldwide who would climb over each other to see him perform. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be one of those people. Stevie Wonder is a pass on my part.

I suppose what disappoints me the most here, is when you hear a name that has been in the music industry for decades, you expect to be blow away with their work - Regardless of who they are or what their music style is. Or, perhaps better stated, at least I do. Maybe this is an unrealistic expectation to have.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment