Retro Spins: Icehouse - Man Of Colours



What a wonderful surprise!

Icehouse, to me, was nobody. Not even on my radar. However, their one hit, Electric Blue, would sporadically tingle in the back of my mind, and I would say, "I'll get around to getting that one." It wasn't a priority at all. Boy, I wish it had been.

As I fired up Man Of Colours, I had zero expectations. How was this nobody band going to provide anything I'd be interested in - Beyond the one song I bought the album for. The Crazy started. I was hooked. The voice of singer Iva Davies drew me right in. It had a vibe of Morten Harket of A-Ha, but somehow more polished, while still just as haunting.

After knocking me off balance with the unexpected jolt of sudden interest in what more this album could offer, I then got Electric Blue. This only sucked me in more. This is where I was treated to the one thing I love most about my series of Retro Spins. It made me want to go looking for more from the band.

What was somewhat funny about this thought was that it was accompanied by this thought of, "If Icehouse was around in the early 80's, they surely would have been a powerhouse!" That was when I found out that not only had they released their first album in 1980, but that Man Of Colours was actually their sixth, and last album of that decade. Oops. I guess I just totally missed them.

If there was a bad track on this album, I didn't hear one. However, standouts were definitely, Crazy, Electric Blue, Man Of Colours, Nothing To Serious and Girl In The Moon. This is really a solid album worth listening to. Not only am I going to look further into the bands other albums, but I'm also going to listen to this one again.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

1 comment:

  1. Always good to be surprised in a good way. I only know Electric Blue. Great song. Always reminds me of the 80s. Fascinating that I've heard nothing else.

    ReplyDelete