Masters of the Universe Day 2023 - Part I

 

Masters of the Universe Day is upon us again, and with it, I've curated three particular posts for the day. The first is what you have before you, and the other two will follow in the early afternoon and mid-evening.

I've been sitting on these items for quite a few months, waiting for the month of April to hit to finally open them.

Starting it all off are these two great figures from the Masterverse series from Mattel. 


I absolutely treasured the 1987 Masters of the Universe film from my childhood, and all I wanted at the time were the figures from Mattel to play with. While a few were released, Gwildor, Saurod, and Blade, because the film essentially tanked, that was all that came out.


When Masters of the Universe Classics came out, I completely missed grabbing the movie related figures, opting instead to stay out of the world of current toy lines. I've been looking at those figures ever since wishing I had taken the plunge on them. It didn't help that Mattel made the series incredibly frustrating for people to get.


Fortunately, Masterverse has me covered, well, at least with He-Man and Skeletor (for now). When I saw these figures announced I immediately pre-ordered them. I'm hoping beyond hope that they produce the remaining movie related characters, and even give us a Beast Man, Man-At-Arms and Teela this time around.


I like how the packages fit together to make a mural. It's too bad I have no interest in keeping packages.






Well, that's about it for the packaging. Let's bust those babies loose!


There's plenty of accessories here, and all the weapons have a place in various holsters.


Man...That head. So bad. Definitely not Dolph Lundgren. While I can appreciate them including an "original" head to swap out, that version simply doesn't go with the figure at all. So, unfortunately, we're stuck with what we have.



The details on the cape are impressive.


I had a bit of trouble getting the arms to move. The joint connected to the body simply doesn't want to move all that much.


Skeletor came with some great accessories. However, unlike He-Man, there are no holsters or hooks to put any of them on. That's such a downer when toy makers do that. Like we just want a bunch of loose accessories sitting around.



The details are fantastic, but the colors are all wrong. The films costume was black and blue, not brown and red. I would have much preferred that Mattel stay true to the source material.


Still, that head sculpt is pretty spot on. Of the two, it's the best feature.

Let this be their final battle!

Oops...Look's like Skeletor brought a knife to a gun fight!

Like I said, I hope we finally get a complete line of movie themed figures, screen accurate or not. It's been a long time coming, and I hope Mattel doesn't ditch the concept with just these two. I'm tired of lines that tease, but never fully commit.

But, for now, that wraps up this post. Come back later for my next post.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Masters of the Universe Day!

    I still haven't found that Skeletor yet, though I'm waiting to stumble upon him in store as I have the Super7 figures already.

    The color of Skeletor's movie costume feels to me a bit like the Xenomorphs from Aliens or Han Solo's Hoth coat; they're so much influenced by lighting that it's tough to tell what color they actually are versus how they're presented in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review..read it a few times before...just got those 2 figures here in Brazil..they really kick ass..I was always hunting those movie caracters..but they were always rare and verry expensive back to the 90 s toy line...Im really happy to get my hands on those figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Really hope they make more from the film.

      Delete