Stiffed By Santa

 

It happened to most of us growing up. There was that one gift every now and then that we wanted, yet seemed to never get. Well today, I want to talk about that. Specifically, the three things that no matter how much I asked, Santa just seemed to continue to stiff me.

Number 1...

Snake Mountain from Masters of the Universe was a playset I really wanted as a kid. In fact, there were a ton of figures from the line that could have easily made this list. But, this one in particular seemed to always be out of my grasp.

I had a Castle Grayskull, and I played with it often. So why did Santa never seem to want to bring me Skeletor's lair?

In hindsight, I have a speculation. Mrs. Claus hates, and I mean HATES snakes. To the point that if she saw a plastic one, she'd run away. As such, it's no wonder she wouldn't pick this playset up for me as a kid.

Of course, she bought me plenty of the Snake Men figures, so maybe that's not it. Maybe it just came down to price, and other gifts.

Number 2...

This one boggles the mind for me, even today.

Santa bought me Lion-O, and Mumm-Ra, stoking the fire just enough to make me foam at the mouth for more Thundercats. Then, he suddenly closed up shop, and left me waiting in the wings.

I wanted Panthro so much, and despite repeatedly asking for him, he never arrived. As if to add insult to injury, a Thundercats shaped package, which I ripped open with glee, held Cheetara inside.

I wish I could say that it came down to price. That the line was too expensive for Santa to foot the bill on. However, Santa brought me a Thundertank that same year! How are you going to bring the vehicle, but not the driver?!? Was this some kind of sick joke?

Number 3...

What I could never understand about Panthro was clear to me from the very start. Everything about this one came down to the price. There was no way Santa was bringing me a $500.00 comic book.

I wanted a platinum edition Spider-Man number one from the moment I saw it in my local comic shop. I even tried working for it around the house, saving every penny I was paid. However, that's all it ever amounted to. A few pennies.

My parents were never big on paying us for what they expected us to do. As such, I was never a kid who got an allowance. Santa was my only hope for this one, and that just never came to fruition.

$500.00 was probably more than what all of my siblings got in gifts combined. So, it was definitely a pipe dream that I would get that kind of scratch spent on just me, let alone a single item, and a comic book at that.

Stiffed, but not miffed...

While I mention these three items above, it really is all in good fun. The truth of the matter is that I didn't honestly spend  my time dwelling on what I didn't have as a kid. Why would I? I was too busy enjoying the things I did have, filling the gaps with my imagination.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any memories of getting stiffed. Not to say it didn't happen, ha! What I won't forget though is opening some of the stuff I did get over the years. Atari 2600, ROM, Big Trac...good times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely more hits than misses for me over the years. Santa was pretty generous, for sure.

      Delete