Rambo: The Force Of Freedom (Ruby-Spears Enterprises)

 

Rambo: The Force Of Freedom
Ruby-Spears Enterprises
1986

Rambo: The Force Of Freedom gets the honor of being the very first animated cartoon series for children based on a movie rated R. It was controversial at the time, and as I think about it, would probably be controversial if released today. Imagine a kids cartoon based on Squid Games. Wow, that would actually be pretty cool.

The series involved lead character, Rambo, as the head of The Force Of Freedom taking the fight to terrorist group, S.A.V.A.G.E., headed by General Warhawk. Rambo's team ultimately took their orders from Colonel Trautman, but in terms of the overall characters the teams were vastly uneven. While there were seven good guys which encompassed The Force Of Freedom, there were a whopping twenty-three bad guys who made an appearance in the show.

As was the case, a toy line was released to heavily promote and coexist in conjunction with the show. I covered that quite some time ago, "HERE".

The cartoon itself ran for sixty-five episodes over the course of one season in 1986. There would eventually be a DVD release over six volumes between June and December 2005 by Lionsgate Home Entertainment, who also own the rights to the Rambo films.

This is where today's post lands, taking a look at the individual volumes.

Volume 1: A World Of Trouble

Volume 2: Enter The Dragon

Volume 3: S.A.V.A.G.E. Island

Each volume contains one disc, which (for the most part) features eleven episodes. The only exception is volume three, which contains ten. As a whole, this set encompasses all sixty-five episodes of the complete series.

Volume 4: Up In Arms

Volume 5: Snow Riad

Volume 6: Face Of Freedom

The DVD's have long since gone out of print, and remain relatively scarce on secondary markets. It's because of this that individual volumes can sell for as much as thirty to sixty-five dollars used. This is also the driving factor as to why the set remained on my want list for quite some time.

I was shocked when I recently found a complete set of all six discs for a buy it now price of $100.00, and five of the discs were brand new / unopened. I was not about to pass this opportunity up, despite the seller wanting an additional $25.00 for shipping. It was well worth the price in my book.

The opportunity was so great that I waited skeptically for them to arrive, wondering if the seller would relist them for a higher price, and then torture me for a long and drawn out refund process. Fortunately, this never happened.

With that said, I need to excuse myself. It's time to start watching some Rambo!

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

6 comments:

  1. This was a great cartoon. I loved it as a kid and even now enjoy an episode every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite my closing line, I never got a chance to put it on. Maybe I'll do that today.

      Delete
  2. I never really watched the cartoon, but the toy commercials were fantastic and I still remember that jingle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, the toys were hot! Probably better than the cartoon. Then again, aren't they always?

      Delete
  3. Never knew the cartoon existed. 65 episodes is a nice run.

    ReplyDelete