Retro Spins: Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam - With Full Force



Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam was a nice eye opener when I first heard their 1987 album, Spanish Fly. It was so good that I immediately set to task to find their 1985 album With Full Force, as well as, their 1989 album, Straight To The Sky. Mind you, I haven't heard either one of these until today when I fired up With Full Force.

Will Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam be able to meet the expectation that Spanish Fly set for me? Well...

I felt like I was being subjected to some poorly written high school play. The spoken dialog between some of the tracks is corny as all get out, and really takes you out of the immersion in the album. Mind you, the songs themselves aren't all that catchy or memorable on their own. However, this additional aspect of trying to create some form of "play" really makes the whole thing silly.

So, no, this album didn't impress me as much as Spanish Fly. Not even close. In fact, I dare say it was pretty bad. Even as I type this, the album continues to drone on in an annoying background noise fashion. I'm not enjoying.

I can say without a shadow of doubt, if this was the first Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam album I ever heard, it would have been the last. It still may very well be the last. It doesn't excite me at all to hear anything further from the group. In fact, it makes me scratch my head in bewilderment how they went from this album to Spanish Fly.

I don't recommend this one...At all.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. I love me some Lisa Lisa. This album had some good songs on it like "I Wonder If I Take You Home", "All Cried Out" and "Can You Feel the Beat", but I guess I can see how this album would not be for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how time changes things. In hindsight, I pulled like three tracks from this album.

      Delete