Roland Dahl's The Witches

 

I just finished watching the newly adapted Roland Dahl story, The Witches on HBO Max. Having never read the book, I can't say whether or not it was true to the source material. What I can say, however, is that I really don't understand the message this children's story is trying to present.

While I appreciate a story that is willing to acknowledge the existence of God, and how this world runs according to his plan, I still don't understand the overall premise the film was aiming for. After watching the movie, I found myself disheartened. What I took from it was a theme that life sucks, isn't fair, you could die at any moment, but that's okay, kill everyone around you who dealt you that bad hand and take their stuff and money.

I don't want to ruin any of the details for those of you out there wanting to watch this film. However, I will say that ultimately there's no resolution to the story. The bad hand the characters are dealt in the film remains the same lot in life that remains with them.

I wouldn't recommend this film for children under ten. I think it would terrify some of them, confuse others, and leave parents answering a lot of questions they don't want to answer about life and death.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment