G.I. Joe Classified: Profit Director Destro

 

Profit directing ain't easy. Unless of course, you're Destro. Then you have money to burn.

I'd be lying if I said I was excited to have another Destro so soon in the G.I. Joe Classified series. While I have a special place in my heart for the gold headed version of the character, as the 1988 Iron Grenadiers version was the only Destro I had as a kid, I would have preferred Hasbro's efforts be put into a character not already introduced into the series. Especially sine this particular figure is just a repaint.

But, before I get into that, let's start with the packaging.

Though in line with the overall design of the packaging to date, Profit Director Destro's box features a gold foil shimmer to it. Since the figure costs $5.00 more than your average Classified figure, I'm guessing this is where your money goes. Disappointing to say the least. If I'm going to pay more money for a toy, I'd like it to be for the contents inside. Not the box itself.

Still no sign of any new characters on the back. As such, we're still limited to the crumbs that Hasbro will throw at us. I said it before, and I'll say it again - Why the secrecy? Not everything has to be a big announcement event. Just show us on the back of the card what we can expect this year.


Profit Director Destro isn't part of any particular wave. He's more so a one-off release. However, number wise, he is respectfully labeled fifteen. This puts him after the Amazon exclusive Arctic Mission Storm Shadow, but before the recently announced Cobra Infantry, Zartan, Firefly and Viper, which we still don't know the numbers for.



With exception of a paint job, and a couple new accessories, Profit Direct Destro is the exact same as the figure we originally got. However, it's worth noting that the figure is based on the run change version, which removes the circle from the top of the figure's head.

Paint wise, the design is based on the variant version of 1997's Destro V5, which fans have come to dub Pimp Daddy Destro. Much like that character, Profit Director Destro is decked out in that red and leopard paint motif. It's unique, I'll give it that.





Accessories wise, Destro comes with the same pistol and case that came with the original release. While the pistol is the same color it's always been, the case has been changed from black to gold. It's an unfortunate aspect, but the red Cobra logo on the case has been painted over in solid gold as well. I think that would have looked really nice in contrast with the case color. It also would have made it "pop" more.

The final three accessories are all new to the figure. These are his purple tinted shades, a burning wad of cash and a leopard cape. The cape fits snug over the shoulders of the figure, and the glasses, while easily knocked off, fit perfectly over the bridge of the nose and top of the ears.

When decked out, Profit Director Destro definitely looks cool. But again, did we really need a second version this soon? I'm also not big on the price hike for the sake of shiny packaging. However, with that said, overall, it's an awesome figure and I totally dig it.

Now if you want to give me more variants, bring on the Cold Slither Drednoks! But until we get those, what are your thoughts on this updated version of Destro?

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

5 comments:

  1. In a crazy year as 2020 is, I thought a good chuckle brought by Hasbro was worth it. I laughed at their subtle Pimp reference and the burning cash is great. I always thought the original pimp Destro was ridiculous, but we could use some humor these days. And if it comes in action figure format, even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I actually had some time to think on this figure more today, and changed my initial write up ever so slightly.

      Delete
  2. Pimp Daddy Destro... LOL! Also if he is all about the profit and stuff, this begs the question of why he is setting his money on fire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Good point. Maybe he was walking down the street with it, and it combusted, which is why in the first and last pictures he looks kind of confused while staring at it.

      Delete