Retro Spins: Revenge Of The Nerds



If The Lost Boys is my favorite vampire / horror movie, then Revenge of the Nerds may very well be my all time favorite comedy from the 80's. Booger for the win all day, every day.

When Robert Carradine and Anthony Edwards load their slide rules into Pop's station wagon and cruise off to college, they're on their way to becoming the Biggest Nerds on Campus. And you're on the laugh track to the funniest college movie ever!

Trouble begins when a whole dorm full of nerds are booted out of their rooms by a Hun-like horde of homeless jocks. When the nerds try to form their own frat, the battle escalates into full-scale war, waged with high-tech weapons only a nerd could dream of.

Blond hunk Ted McGinley and his female counterpart Julie Montgomery resist the rise of the nerds with their own barbaric bag of Beautiful People tricks. But the day has come for the REVENGE OF THE NERDS - and one of the most satisfying surprise endings you've ever seen. - The back cover of the original VHS

Huh? What? Did the person who wrote that back cover even watch the film? Seriously baffling.

Anyway, on to the soundtrack.

Right off the bat, I don't recognize the first two tracks, Manhattan and Don't Talk. If they appeared in the film, and I've seen it a tone of times, I don't know where within it the songs are. It isn't until track three that I immediately place One Foot In Front Of The Other as the song which plays as the nerds fix up their new home. I'm also not sure why it's not until track number seven that we finally get the theme song, Revenge Of The Nerds by The Rubinoos. Why didn't the album lead with this?

No, you're not going to find any top ten hits here. The high points come from the tracks which you can mentally place in the film, and oddly there are a few of them which I honestly can't. Still, I'm not going to find myself saying, "Gosh, I sure wish I could blast Are You Ready For The Sex Girls, or All Night Party right now!" While recognizable from the film, they're by no means anything great on their own.

Three omissions, which could have easily made this album at least salvageable, are Talking Head's Burning Down The House, Michael Jackson's Thriller and the Tri-Lambs rap from the end of the film. You at least get They're So Incredible from Revenge, which is the track the rap utilized the music from. It's also, in my opinion, the best track on the album.

Overall, if the movie didn't hold such a high esteem for me, I wouldn't have even bothered tracking down the album. I also don't recommend many of you do so yourselves. The reason being, it' not cheap. At $40.00 to $70.00, this rare gem is best left suited for audiophiles who absolutely have to have scarce titles in their collection. I'm by no means an audiophile, and in hind site, I don't think this was necessarily something I "needed" in my collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to part with it. However, I certainly could have found something far more enjoyable to drop money on.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment