Retro Spins: Ghostbusters



I may be walking into a fire on this one, but I actually like Ghostbusters II, both the film and soundtrack, more than I like the original.

When ghosts go on a rampage, only three men can save the world. It's GHOSTBUSTERS, starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis as a manical band of parapsychologists specializing in psychic phenomena - and super natural hilarity! Fired from university research jobs, Drs. Venkman (Marruay), Stantz (Aykroyd) and Spengler (Ramis) set up shop as "Ghostbusters" ridding Manhattan of bizarre apparitions. But even the spirit exterminators are severely tested when beautiful Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver) and her nerdy neighbor (Rick Moranis) become possessed by demons living in their building. Soon every spook in the city is loose and our heroes face their supreme challenge at a roof-top demonic shrine. If you want your spirits raised, who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! - The back cover of the original VHS

Okay, stop. First and foremost, I have to address the back cover to the original VHS. Am I the only one insulted here? Where is any mention of Ernie Hudson? I can understand, but won't dismiss, not finding a place to mention Annie Potts. Seriously though? Ernie, the fourth Ghostbuster, Hudson isn't mentioned once? The back cover could have easily said;

When ghosts go on a rampage, only four men can save the world. It's GHOSTBUSTERS, starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson as a band specializing in psychic phenomena - and super natural hilarity! Fired from university research jobs, Drs. Venkman (Marruay), Stantz (Aykroyd) and Spengler (Ramis) set up shop as "Ghostbusters" ridding Manhattan of bizarre apparitions with the aid of their new hires Winston Zeddemore (Hudson) and loyal but underappreciated receptionist Janine Melnitze (Annie Potts). But even the spirit exterminators are severely tested when beautiful Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver) and her nerdy neighbor (Rick Moranis) become possessed by demons living in their building. Soon every spook in the city is loose and our heroes face their supreme challenge at a roof-top demonic shrine. If you want your spirits raised, who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! - Updated better version from The Toy Box

Right, with that put to bed, let me focus on the actual soundtrack.

It's actually really good. I honestly liked the majority of the tracks. Of course, you can't go wrong with Ray Parker, Jr.'s theme song. You also get great tracks from Air Supply, Thompson Twins, The Bus Boys, Mick Smiley and Laura Branigan.

Probably my least favorite section of the soundtrack are the score from Elmer Bernstein. They're just not for me. I can also do without the instrumental version of Ray Parker, Jr.'s Ghostbusters. It's kind of unnecessary.

Overall, not a bad album. In fact, it's pretty solid. I mean, I essentially like the first seven tracks of ten songs, and even threw them all into my iTunes and iPod rotations. I honestly didn't expect to like this as much as I did.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment