Retro Spins: Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry



Twisted Sister
Stay Hungry
1984

It's the album the band loved so much they released it twice. Twisted Sisters 1984 album Stay Hungry (re-recorded and re-released as Still Hungry in 2004) wasn't the bands first album. It wasn't even their second. However, as they say, third time's the charm, and that it was. The album went triple platinum putting the band on the map of glam rock super stardom.

The album starts out on a high note with the title track, Stay Hungry, and then launches into what is probably the bands most popular hit, We're Not Gonna Take It. From there, we get the song I actually know from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Burn in Hell.

I did have to smile when I saw the track name for the forth song included Captain Howdy. For those of you who don't know who that is, he's the character who would appear in Dee Snider's Strangeland in 1998 - A guilty cult classic favorite of mine. I actually saw the film in theaters when it was first released then ran to the video store when it came out on DVD. It's gory-ously fantastic. It was interesting to essentially hear the story of the film, or at least part of it, in this two part track.

The album then jumps into another well known hit, I Wanna Rock, a good halfway point track for the album - Literally song five of nine. The Price, which followed I Wanna Rock, was actually a new track for me and I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. Dee Snider's voice is fantastically haunting throughout the ballad. 

Don't Let Me Down picks up the pace from there, and while it's catchy, it's just okay. I threw it into my 80's shuffle to see if it has any longevity. Time will tell that one. The rest of the album unfortunately quickly became forgettable. More so background noise than anything.

Overall, not a bad album. I ended up grabbing six of the nine songs for my iTunes / iPod shuffle sessions.

Dee Snider has had an impressive career in the music industry and a cult classic film which will forever be remembered by horror fans. Honestly though, the most impressive thing I've ever seen come from the man was when he owned the PMRC and Tipper Gore as he defended music artists against being labeled with explicit stickers on their albums. He not only produced a coherent argument which put the onus on parents to preview and control the content their children listened to, but also made it clear that the way his music was interpruted by Tipper Gore and her "board" was incorrect. The hearing is well worth checking out. I've put it below.



Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment