Retro Spins: Deee-Lite - World Clique



Back in the day, I had a co-worker who her and I thoroughly enjoyed phrasing questions with, "How do you say, de....<insert random word here>." We would then laugh at our inside joke as people stared at us like we were lunatics. All of this was derived from the music video of the only song I've ever known, until today, from house group, Deee-Lite.

Ever since seeing the video on MTV, I've been hooked on the song, Groove Is In The Heart. Everything about it was fun, from the music to the visuals. It was different from the emerging Seattle rock, and at the same time took me back to the 70's in a way. The inclusion of Bootsy Collins on bass only upped its charm for me.

As I listened to World Clique for the first time, what I found myself enjoying the most was the music itself. While Lady Miss Kier has an amazing and unique voice, it really wasn't the lyrics which were drawing me in, but rather the beats and melodies. I found this interesting since I'm really not into heavy beat and bass driven music. It had a lot of funky soul to it, and, for lack of a better word, was just groovy.

Unfortunately, it didn't hold my attention all that long, though I did get excited when Groove Is In The Heart finally came around. I also got giddy to hear What Is Love?, which features the spoken portions at the beginning of the music video for Groove. I didn't know this until today.

Overall, I don't see myself becoming a fan of Deee-Lite. I dig Groove Is In The Heart, and that's really enough for me.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment