Christmas For Me!

 

I've checked off the more common staples of the era, and because of this, I'm at the point where things aren't as easy to find nor cheap to get anymore. Whereas before I could get twenty plus albums for a hundred bucks, now I'm lucky if that price will get me two to five.

 It's because of this, my CD collecting has slowed considerably. I can't rationalize buying forty dollar albums on a regular basis. As such, Birthdays and Christmas have become my relegated time of year for this, when it's easier to justify such a purchase. Waiting until the tail end of the year also allows me the time to set aside the funds to do so. Which leads me to my Christmas gift(s) to me in 2022!

I'm a firm believer that one should get oneself gifts for their birthday or Christmas. Why not? You work hard for your money. Treat yourself right! Besides. Who knows better what you want than you?

The name of the game this year was to focus on those rare and obscure soundtracks from the 80's. The one's to movies that most people remember, but don't necessarily have any recollection of a corresponding soundtrack.

Some of them are scores. Other's obscure various artists. All of them awesome in their own right.


Back to the Beach - A star studded cast, and an awesome soundtrack that features Pee-Wee Herman singing Surfin' Bird. Mind you, that's just the crest of the wave.

Big Trouble In Little China - You can keep the 2016 La-La Land release. I'm all about the original pressing. While it was released in the USA, this version I ended up getting is from France.

Breakin' - The movie may be a disaster, but the soundtrack brings some of the best and obscure electronic / hip-hop tracks from the early 80's. Ollie and Jerry's Breakin'... There's No Stoppin' Us, and the Bar-Kay's Freakshow On The Dance Floor, are must haves!

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo - Neither the film nor soundtrack were as good as the first, and truthfully, the soundtrack wasn't even on my want list. I picked this up because it had the radio edit of George Kranz's Din Da Da, and to fill the completist void in me.

Halloween II - I got on a kick of "needing" 80's horror flick soundtracks, and quickly found out that some are far more scarce and expensive than others. It appears many, if not all of the Halloween soundtracks will set you back a pretty penny...IF you can find them.

Krush Groove - My intrigue for the soundtrack to Krush Groove was led by Sheila E. I've not see the movie, and frankly didn't hear about it until I found the album during one of my many random Google searches and added it to my want list. For the longest time there was only one copy available on Discogs, brand new sealed, and it was not cheap. I finally broke down and bought this copy after haggling with the seller for a price reduction. He'd had the thing listed for a long time - At least a year before it caught my attention.

Perfect - This soundtrack hit my radar for the Jermaine Jackson single, (Closest Thing to) Perfect, and only piqued my interest more upon reading the other contributors, Whitney Houston, Jermaine Stewart, Wham, Pointer Sisters, and the list goes on. I'm surprised this soundtrack isn't among the more frequently listed, "must have" ones from the 80's.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - This soundtrack was on my list more so because I knew the movie, and it intrigued me with its layout. The first half of this all various artists contributed album is labeled as the "town side", while the back half is denoted as the "country side". Definitely interested in checking this one out.

Rhinestone - I saw tracks listed on here as being sung by Sylvester Stallone. That was enough for this to become a "must have" for me. I hope it's not as terrible as Michael J. Fox from the Light of Day soundtrack. Can't wait to find out.

Star Wars Ewoks - Technically, this is a well made Singapore bootleg that is highly sought after by Star Wars fans. It's a high quality pressing of the original vinyl version with additional tracks thrown in. While I have not confirmed this yet, rumor has it the tracks are all mislabeled as to what they actually are.

Supergirl - I wanted this one strictly because it existed. The movie was terrible, and I couldn't tell you with any level of honesty that I remember any of the music from it. It may not be John William's iconic score, but Jerry Goldsmith is no slouch either.

With eleven albums crossed off my list, Christmas was a massive success, and even though this post is going live in January, there's more to come! I'm just now getting started on my Christmas holiday posts, which will be featured throughout the month!

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - those are some rare soundtracks indeed. Supergirl had to be the worst movie ever. Poor Helen Slater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a make or break role, which unfortunately culminated in the latter...

      Delete
  2. WOW! Great pick-ups! I actually added a copy of the "Breakin'" soundtrack a few years ago while going through the record collection in the recording booth at work! Our boss told us we could take any of the records we wanted and I grabbed quite a few great albums including "Breakin''".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It's getting harder and harder to find, so great pick up!

      Delete