Retro Spins: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love



I wouldn't call myself a fan of Bruce Springsteen. While I was pleasantly surprised by his album Born In The U.S.A., and had several of his albums up until my latest purge, I never honestly got around to listening to anything else. It was more so out of the question, do I need to get rid of anything else, that I finally came around to listening to his follow up album, Tunnel Of Love.

Yawn....

Sorry, I think I fell asleep for a moment. Okay, I really didn't, but that may have been better time spent.

Simply put, Tunnel Of Love is boring. It has none of the rocking sound of Springsteen's prior album. It has none of that top ten sound, and it has none of what I expected coming after Born In The U.S.A. It was incredibly disappointing.

If what I read was true, and nineteen songs were written for Tunnel Of Love, with twelve making the cut, I can only imagine how bad those other seven were. The title track was mildly recognizable from the 80's, but nothing worth writing home about. I certainly wouldn't have titled an album after it. Then again, I wouldn't have used any of the songs which made the cut for this record.

Also recognizable from the record was Brilliant Disguise, a song I had completely forgotten was from Springsteen. Granted, while it's not my favorite, I think it's a stronger track than Tunnel Of Love. I dare say the album may have turned out better if more songs were completed in this style versus the grass roots fashion of the majority of them.

In light of this album, I'm kind of glad I went ahead and dumped everything post 80's. I'm also not too excited to dabble in anything more from his 70's and 80's years, but I suppose I eventually will. If for nothing more than to keep whittling down albums in my collection which I don't want. Keep trimming the fat, so to speak.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment