Retro Spins: Metallica - The $9.98 CD: Garage Days Re-Revisited



September 27, 1986 was a hard day for Metallica, their friends, families and fans. It was the day bassist Cliff Burton was tragically killed in a bus accident. With the internet non-existent, fans who weren't in the right place at the right time sat in wait, wondering if Metallica would ever be back.

The answer came in August of 1987 with the release of the EP, Garage Days Re-Revisited, or if you want to get technical, The $5.98 EP: Garage Days Re-Revisited (cassette) or The $9.98 CD: Garage Days Re-Revisited (CD). With new bassist, Jason Newsted in place, Metallica was ready to rock once more. The album consists of covers from the 70's and 80's of new wave, heavy metal and punk tracks.

I see the album as a "trial run" for Jason Newsted, which personally speaking, definitely worked out. For as much as I dug the bass riffs Burton produced, Newsted seemed to be the personality Metallica was missing. It didn't hurt that he was a ball of pure energy either.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These days, I don't really get into Metallica as much as I used to. However, when I hear a solid album such as this one, it reminds me why I used to like them so much. This is just pure metal jamming, despite being covers. Thunderous drums, ripping shreds on guitars, killer bass lines and solid lyrics.

Last Caress is still one of my all time favorites from the band. Hearing it again after all these years was a really nice treat. Truth be told, it honestly made me want to go back and hear some more older Metallica stuff. Maybe I'll do just that.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Will definitely check this out. I remember hearing about it but had never been much of a Metallica fan.

    ReplyDelete