Retro Spins: Billy Joel - An Innocent Man



Love can inspire you in so many ways. Take Billy Joel's 1983 album, An Innocent Man. Joel was head over heals in love with his new wife, Christie Brinkley, and this showed big time in song after song which was either dedicated to her, inspired by her, about her, or all three of the above. Too bad feelings on behalf of Billy Joel seem to only been defined by the records he can sell, as he would betray her, and the two would split by 1994.

Sorry, that may sound harsh, but I have a great disrespect for people, male or female, who can't honor the vows they've made to each other.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about that nonsense, and I'm sure you don't either. If you're reading this, you're hear for my review on the album itself, and not the man behind it.

I admittedly haven't heard many Billy Joel albums in their entirety, but so far, this may be one of the better ones I have. It's got a lot of great tracks confined within its forty minute run time, and even produced Joel's third number one hit, Tell Her About It, the first being Just The Way You Are from his 1977 album, The Stranger, and is second being Still Rock And Roll To Me from his 1980 album, Glass Houses.

Out of the ten tracks, I actually pulled five for my shuffle list; An Innocent Man, The Longest Time, Tell Her About It, Uptown Girl and Keeping The Faith. Though I'm honestly not sold 100% on that last one. I'll have to give it another listen to see if it stays on the list.

Between it's rock and oldies style tracks, I found a bit of enjoyment out of the album overall. It was unique and refreshing in a way from the typical style of 80's music I usually listen to. While it didn't turn me into a major fan of his work, I do have several more of his albums which I'll eventually get around to hearing.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Great album. Was in my set of 10 cassettes for a dollar from Columbia Record and Tape club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good ol' Columbia House. Reminds me of Joseph Parvin.

      Delete